• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do i have to remove hubs to remove brake rotor?

willmasse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
96 mazda b4000, 4wd auto hubs. Do i have to remove the hubs to pull off the brake rotor? im having a hard time getting it off and was wondering if something could be keeping it stuck on. sry for all the questions, thanks guys!

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First, Remove the wheel
then remove 2 or 3 little clips that hold the hub onto the rotor
Pull the hub off, it shouldn't be hard, neither of my auto hubs were that hard, just give it a wiggle as you pull
then remove the "C" Clip (be careful it can go flying)
Next, remove the little grooved washer
then, a bigger ring (I can't remember what it's called)
Then it should look something like this:

When you get to this point, get a magnet, because there is a little square pin that sits in the groove(it's right where the bright spot is from the flash, so it's hard to see).
You need to pull it out, sometimes it helps to move the spindle nut back and forth a little by hand (if you can). If you can't get the little pin out, you can drive it through just a little bit and it will free up the spindle nut, but you risk breaking the pin.
Once you get the little pin out you can usually get the spindle nut off by hand(if not you'll need a 2 3/8 spindle nut socket).

After that you should pull out the wheel bearing and set it someplace safe, or replace it.

Then you should be able to pull the rotor off, then swap out the wheel bearings and seal(the seal is on the back of the rotor, you will probably need a new seal, $6.99 at Autozone)

I may be forgetting something, but this should be close enough to get the job done

willmasse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
super helpful! got it off! thanks! how do i get the back bearings and seal out though? which way do they come out, they seem to be stuck in there?

willmasse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
figured it out! rusted seal looked like one peice. thanks for the help! now im good to go!

willmasse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
do i hammer the new seal in? cause it doesn't just slide in easy.

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used my 2 3/8 Hub nut socket to try to hammer it in evenly, but yeah a hammer will work just hammer in a star pattern if you don't have anything else

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I set them down gently and center them as best I can then lightly tap them in with a rubber mallet.

Hub nut socket is a good idea too though.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used a big piece of a old sledge handle, whatever you use , you want it to make sure it is softer than the object you are hitting so not to damage it.

dhinch279

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used a big piece of a old sledge handle, whatever you use , you want it to make sure it is softer than the object you are hitting so not to damage it.
Thats a good point, I forgot to mention that I layed a shop towel over the seal when I hit on it with the hub nut socket

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals