• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Shawdow Edition

Red Dog Acres

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have this Gen 1 Shadow Edition that is pretty rare I guess, keep hearing like 15 were made. I have a question for all you fine Ranger lovers out there.

Should I:

A. Restore it as close to original as I can, to include the 4 Cyl engine?

B. Convert it into a street rod, with a V8 swap and custom paint?

C. Put the step-side bed on a Gen 1 or 2 Ranger that is 4x4 and build a jacked-up monster?

or

D. Just sell it and end all the uncertainty?

Thanks in advance for your input! - Tom

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd personally keep it stock and do a full frame-off resto on it. From the pic I see in your sig that truck would be sa-weet! completely done over with the same paint job and wheel setup

Red Dog Acres

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I agree...if I do an "original" resto it would HAVE to keep the same paint! Thanks for your suggestion!

- Tom

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I realize its rare and all but its only worth whats someone will pay,
Unless your trying to get some rewards at car shows, I would keep the appearance as close to original as possible, but swap in a sbf.

how many miles are on it?

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I asked my brother-in-law about that Shadow Edition since he has worked at Ford at three different locations on the assembly lines for over 25 years now and I figure he would know about that Ranger. He told me that back in 1986 Ford did a market test with 15 Ford Rangers. The truck cabs were sent to San Kar Fabricating company in Indiana for a one piece fiberglass bed conversion. Ford wanted to test the 'glass bed for gas mileage and durability. Most of them started to crack and became brittle after normal wear and tear use and Ford did not again pursue it until later on (Sport Trac with composite bed came out from testing on other vehicals). Composite is so much better made and last longer. But that truck if it is the fiberglass bed then it it rare. Not really worth a ton of money though. But rare!!

Red Dog Acres

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Odometer says 47K...probably has 147K. Trust me, I'm with you 100% on the value and I not real concerned about doing what some car show judge may like. I'm thinking the V8 swap idea sounds best to me...of course I could combine it with option A and keep the original paint...that's a good idea!

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The 1992-96 f150 flareside bed sides are fiberglass, most ive seen still look good, but too bad they weigh almost 200lbs more than a styleside bed.

Red Dog Acres

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Straycat...I don't think by any means I have uncovered an original copy of the Constitution under a velvet picture of dogs playing poker (i.e. have a tremendous find in $ terms) but since everyone here likes and appreciates Rangers I'm just looking for some input before I do anything I may regret later.

I got to thinking that my option D was not intended to be a classified ad...so everyone please forgive me if it came across that way.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I'm assuming the Ranger in question is the one in your profile pic.

What wheels are those? Do they appear stock or have Ford id/parts number anywhere on them?

I'd restore it very close to original, but have a few parts different. Having a vehicle around that serves no purpose is annoying. With that being said:

The 4 cylinder is fine. Just gear the snot out of the axles. The other side to using the 4 banger is to turbo it (also a VERY fun truck).

I can't justify putting a bunch of work into a truck to have it rust away in the winter. 2wd is fine for a daily driver or street driven truck.

I'd keep the same paint, I think it looks fine with the current colors and scheme?

At least swap to the Ranger 8.8 with 10" drums. L/S's and lockers can be added later if felt necessary.

If driven right, the lima 4 banger will still toss down high 20's for MPG.

Last thing, could we get some full size pics of the truck? headbang::headbang::headbang:

Red Dog Acres

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm assuming the Ranger in question is the one in your profile pic.

What wheels are those? Do they appear stock or have Ford id/parts number anywhere on them?

I'd restore it very close to original, but have a few parts different. Having a vehicle around that serves no purpose is annoying. With that being said:

The 4 cylinder is fine. Just gear the snot out of the axles. The other side to using the 4 banger is to turbo it (also a VERY fun truck).

I can't justify putting a bunch of work into a truck to have it rust away in the winter. 2wd is fine for a daily driver or street driven truck.

I'd keep the same paint, I think it looks fine with the current colors and scheme?

At least swap to the Ranger 8.8 with 10" drums. L/S's and lockers can be added later if felt necessary.

If driven right, the lima 4 banger will still toss down high 20's for MPG.

Last thing, could we get some full size pics of the truck? headbang::headbang::headbang:
I will check those wheels over real good, I think they were somehow related to this project as I was looking at pics of a red one in the Rare RBV section that has the same ones on it. I will post some pics on my profile page as soon as I can. All of the pics (including my profile) are from the craigslist ad that I found when I bought it. I will also get out and take some new ones when it stops raining here in WI.

- Tom

rockin86ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0L,2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
My vote is to hold on to it for another few months, then when i get some money saved up sell it me at a good price.

The thing that makes it hard to say about the acutal production number is the company actually sold the stepside conversion for year, it was popular on luvs and s10s, and available for rangers

I keep hoping to find one somewhere.

Can't go wrong with 2.3T with a 5speed(6 if you can afford it) but other than that keep it original

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i'd SAS it and put it on 33's or 35's. and put a 4.0 in it.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
keep it stock on the outside, do a v8 and a leveling kit :D

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Keep it stock and restore it to your liking. Sure a lot of people say you'll get what someone will pay for it BUT it's your truck.

Besides, when I was a teenager Superbees, Mustang GT's all those old muscle cars could be bought cheap and look what happened. And there were hundreds of thousands of those back then too.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd go 302 and keep the rest of it stock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals