• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Explorer 4.6L long crank time to start

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If pressure climbs while cranking then I would have to say fuel pump is being turned on which may be normal for the computer in your model.

But the drop in pressure seems to point to the check valve/back flow preventer on the fuel pump, or a split/leaking line in the fuel pump system in the tank.

Your MPG would be severely effected it this was a fuel leak outside of the tank.

Last edited:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'll have to fill it and see what the MPGs are. I track every fill, but this problem showed up just before the last fill.

I tried the WOT test and didn't start, didn't sputter or anything. Then I repeated the test but first did a key on/key off to charge pressure and let bleed down a few times so if it were dumping fuel into the manifold it give a better chance to catch but again the same result.

I think you are right about the full pump and fits adsm's probable cause.

*yuck* doesn't look like a cheap fix.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Never got any real fuel economy check. I've put in a few tanks but with all the snow and lots of idle time while warming it to clean snow off I don't know that the low 12mpg I was seeing means anything.

I did bite the bullet and went with the odds since everything else seemed okay and put it a fuel pump assembly. The fuel rail pressure drops about 8 PSI when I stop engine but then holds at 57 PSI and only moves very slowly. like 2 PSI in 5 minutes. So this corrected that symptom.

I do notice when I turn the key to run that after sitting all night pressure doesn't come up immediately. So pump doesn't appear to pressurize the system with the three second run. It starts right up. Haven't experienced long crank yet so far so good.

I also noticed when it did start, pressure stayed low and built slowly to 65PSI while idle.

Previously, when it cranked long time it would show no pressure, start as soon as it had just a little, but then jumped up to 65 PSI much quicker.

So I don't know if there is anything to read into that. With the warmer weather and some long drives this weekend (things that made it hard to start) I should find out if the starting symptom is resolved

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals