• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power Steering Pump or Steering Box?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 2.3L Ranger with power steering. When I drive, the steering wheel doesn't completely re-center after making a turn. For instance, I use to be able to make a right turn and coming out of the turn, the wheels would straighten themselves out. Now, I have to direct them in the straight direction, they never go completely back on their own.

The truck has new 2 year old tie-rod ends and ball joints that are well greased. I had a leak in the power steering system last summer that I could not pinpoint the location of, but it stopped leaking after time.

Any thoughts? :icon_confused:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If 4x4 check the axle U joints for seizing...I've seen them stiffen up to the point where the steering was a chore to turn.

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I to have this problem but its a 2wd.

cutlass30587

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
what was the fix? i have the same problem.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't figured it out yet. My Ranger is my DD and I don't have a backup vehicle at the moment. Because it isn't terribly expensive, I am gonna install the Saginaw pump, new pulley, new lines, new steering u-joint, and rebuild the steering gears. My truck has 189,000 hard earned miles, I think it will be worth it.

Also, I hate fixing one problem to start another problem. I did this once with brakes. Never again. When I fix something now, I replace everything connected to it. It's a bit pricier, but very effective for reliability.

The Saginaw swap and the steering gear rebuild are both in the Tech Library under Steering.

Napa still sells the Saginaw pump online. It seems pretty hard to find anywhere else.

Last edited:

cutlass30587

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i sprayed up the u-joints just now and it got alot better so looks like that should take care of it

Last edited:

Skatike27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I have seen this problem come up a couple of times now on this site.

Mine also just started doing this. I always had about 20 degrees of play in my wheel but never bothered trying to fix it. Then about 4 weeks ago I had the wheel cranked all the way left to take a low speed corner in town. I heard a loud "ka-lunk" and after that my wheel would no longer return to center on its own. Also now it appears my wheel has what I like to call a "notch" in its movement when i go to steer it back to center. Just as Im about to get the wheel back to center from say a left turn, it will just about be centered then it will hit the "notch" and dart right a considerable amount, to the point where I almost have decided to stop driving it. The best part of this problem is that its intermittent! So its always a wonderful surprise coming out of a turn! I have checked ball joints and tie rods and found nothing.
Now some are saying the u-joints (considering I have a 1994 4.0 4x4) on the 4 wheel drive alxes but my argument to that is that I have manual hubs so unless I lock them in the shaft with the u-joints isn't rotating. So how would it affect my steering then?

Hopefully someone has some great knowledge about the Ford steering systems and whether or not Ford has addressed the problems that so many of us seem to have.

Thanks All.
Tom.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Now some are saying the u-joints (considering I have a 1994 4.0 4x4) on the 4 wheel drive alxes but my argument to that is that I have manual hubs so unless I lock them in the shaft with the u-joints isn't rotating. So how would it affect my steering then?
You are correct, however, to turn the wheels the outer joints on both sides turn with the knuckles. The problem was also intermittent with mine. I did determine a very easy way to test if this is the problem.

1. Jack the front wheels up off the ground. (Put on jack stands to be safe)
2. Start the engine and turn the wheels left or right, not to full lock but about half way.
3. Shut the engine off.
4. With the hubs unlocked, spin both wheels to make sure they spin freely.
5. Lock one hub in and try to spin that wheel. Do this to each side separately. If the joint is seized, one or both wheels will be very hard to spin with a hub locked in. Make sure the transfer case is in 2WD for this.

Best of luck! :icon_cheers:

88~ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Alright I have seen this problem come up a couple of times now on this site.

Mine also just started doing this. I always had about 20 degrees of play in my wheel but never bothered trying to fix it. Then about 4 weeks ago I had the wheel cranked all the way left to take a low speed corner in town. I heard a loud "ka-lunk" and after that my wheel would no longer return to center on its own. Also now it appears my wheel has what I like to call a "notch" in its movement when i go to steer it back to center. Just as Im about to get the wheel back to center from say a left turn, it will just about be centered then it will hit the "notch" and dart right a considerable amount, to the point where I almost have decided to stop driving it. The best part of this problem is that its intermittent! So its always a wonderful surprise coming out of a turn! I have checked ball joints and tie rods and found nothing.

Hopefully someone has some great knowledge about the Ford steering systems and whether or not Ford has addressed the problems that so many of us seem to have.

Thanks All.
Tom.

Hey guys, it almost sounds like your over-center adjustment is to tight in the steering box. This cause is because when the steering wheel is centered the sector shaft is to tight against the ball nut. i would consider either rebuilding the steering box or replacing it. The problem could also be your flow control valve, the return port could be blocked causing a hard return back to center.

I hope this helps!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals