• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Explorer VSS used with A9L Mustang ECM

jab677

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I am not sure I am in the right discussion board here so I apologize if this is off topic. But I am in the middle of swapping a gt40p headed explorer engine into my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. I am using a wiring harness from a 1992 Mustang GT so I will be running a A9L computer. Its just a much simpler wiring scheme than the OBDII Explorer system. My problem is I need a VSS input to the A9L computer, it has pins VSS(+) and VSS(-). Now I have previously upgraded my rear differential in the Jeep to a ford 8.8 which came from a 2000 Explorer. This rearend has VSS built into it. Does anyone know it this VSS would be compatible with the A9L ECM??? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Just an FYI, the VSS is not required for the A9L or A9P to run properly. I don't know that the Explorer VSS is compatible, but I would say no. Are you wanting it to hook it up for cruise control?

Sent while I should be doing something else

jab677

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just an FYI, the VSS is not required for the A9L or A9P to run properly. I don't know that the Explorer VSS is compatible, but I would say no. Are you wanting it to hook it up for cruise control?

Sent while I should be doing something else
I have read of people having issues with idling and stalling while coming to a stop. I am sure I would have no problem adjusting my driving style as needed but I'd rather make things function as properly as possible. The VSS on the A9L computer does have some control on the IAC which is what I am trying to get to function properly. I wonder is the Early 90's VSS's in F150 8.8 might be the same since they use and identical style ECM?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
What trans are you using?

I had an 86 Mustang that I ran with no VSS for a few months, and it ran perfect. That's speed density, and Mass Air will be even better.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I just looked at a couple sources, and both the Mustang and the Explorer use 8,000 pulse per minute signals. You should be OK using your VSS in the diff.

jab677

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just looked at a couple sources, and both the Mustang and the Explorer use 8,000 pulse per minute signals. You should be OK using your VSS in the diff.
Thanks man! Just out of curiousity where did you find that the Explorer 8.8 VSS is 8000ppm? I have been searching for hours. Oh and I am using the factory jeep trans, ax-15. THe jeep uses a 3 wire hall effect sensor for its VSS so it produces a square wave instead of a sine wave. Plus its 0-5 volts so I wasn't sure the A9L would like it. Anyways I will most likely be trying my luck with the 8.8 VSS and hope for the best.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Thanks man! Just out of curiousity where did you find that the Explorer 8.8 VSS is 8000ppm? I have been searching for hours. Oh and I am using the factory jeep trans, ax-15. THe jeep uses a 3 wire hall effect sensor for its VSS so it produces a square wave instead of a sine wave. Plus its 0-5 volts so I wasn't sure the A9L would like it. Anyways I will most likely be trying my luck with the 8.8 VSS and hope for the best.
I need to apologize. The info I was reading was for pre-98 Explorers (I saw your Jeep was a 97, and that year stuck in my head). Hit up user RangerSVT on here. I'm sure he will be able to help you better.

I was reading it from here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/5_0_swap_in_newer_ranger.html

It says:
Speedometer:

We have a whole page on the Ranger's speedometer HERE. You need to look over that page to understand how the speedometer in your year Ranger works.

The speedometer may very well be one of your toughest obstacles. If you have a 1995-2000 Ranger you should try and get a 5.0L EFI setup that's going to match the speedometer setup your Ranger has. This will simplify things for you.

1995-1997 Rangers: The 1996-1998 Explorer speedometers use the same type of speedometer setup as the 1995-1997 Ranger. It has a VSS located near the rear section of the transmission/transfer case that gets input from a gear driven speed sensor on the output shaft.

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a small signal generator that is turned by a gear inside the transmission assembly. The Vehicle Speed Sensor produces 8 pulse per rotation which a stock computer assumes 8000 pulses per mile. The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is a variable reluctance sensor that generates a waveform with a frequency that is proportional to vehicle road speed. When the vehicle is moving slowly, the sensor produces a low frequency signal. As the vehicle speed increases, the sensor produces a higher frequency signal.

1998-2000 Rangers: 1999-2001 Explorer uses the same type of speedometer system as the 1998-2000 Ranger - no modifications needed. The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal.

2001-Newer Rangers: The problem comes when you drop the 5.0L Explorer engine in to a 2001 and newer Ranger. Starting in 2001, the Ranger gets its raw speed signal from the OSS (Output Shaft Speed) sensor on the transmission/transfer case. The OSS sensor is a magnetic pickup that provides transmission output shaft rotation speed information to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) where it is corrected for tire diameter and axle ratio. The PCM uses the OSS sensor signal to help determine EPC (Electronic Pressure Control) pressure, shift scheduling and TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) operation. The PCM generates a 0~12V square wave. This frequency of the square wave is corrected to provide a standard 8000 pulses/mile using multipliers flashed into the PCM for axle ratio and tire diameter. It is sent to the speed control and the cluster. In this system the PCM is the correction and distribution point for the VSS signal.

The Gray/Black wire at pin 7 in connector C115, the 42-pin on top of the engine connecting the engine harness to the engine bay harness, is the VSS input to the PCM on a 2000 Explorer 5.0L.

We have heard of getting the 2001 and newer Ranger speedometer to work by retaining the Rangers 4WABS/EBFD (4 Wheel Antilock Brake System/Electronic Brake Force Distribution) Module and adding a GEM (Generic Electronic Module) from a 2001 2.5L. Both are driven in parallel by the rear axle ABS sensor. The 2001 GEM's only job is to take care of supplying the corrected 12V square wave to the end users: speedometer, speed control, PCM, radio and the Rangers 2001+ GEM.

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm performing a 5.0L swap on my father in law's 2k TJ. I also used the A9L, but used a motor from a third with a mustang Ho cam and gf 40 intake. I'm using the stock 3550 trans with a custom .750 thick milled aluminum adapter and a ford bellhousing. He bought my m90 that i was gonna put on my Trac, so now my Trac will get my old mustang 5.0 motor and a new M122. I'm thinking of adding a set of AFR aluminum heads and a 347 kit...here is a pic with the m90 mocked up on top the 5.0 sitting in the TJ...

Here is his TJ being trailered back to his house using my Trac...

SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm performing a 5.0L swap on my father in law's 2k TJ. I also used the A9L, but used a motor from a third with a mustang Ho cam and gf 40 intake. I'm using the stock 3550 trans with a custom .750 thick milled aluminum adapter and a ford bellhousing. He bought my m90 that i was gonna put on my Trac, so now my Trac will get my old mustang 5.0 motor and a new M122. I'm thinking of adding a set of AFR aluminum heads and a 347 kit...here is a pic with the m90 mocked up on top the 5.0 sitting in the TJ...
So, am I understanding this correctly...... you are taking the motor out of ST (that you just put in it), and putting it in a TJ?

This is for jab677. One thing you can do (if your attempt doesn't work out) is use a pulse generator from Dakota Digital. It cam mimic the OEM Ford VSS signal.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=109/prd109.htm

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Shane, the motor that's in st is coming back out, but not for the TJ, its got its own motor. ST's motor feels a little weak, actually feels weaker than SVT's motor ( ST had 168k donor, SVT had 189k donor). My stang motor is an 89 with 120k miles on it, its been sitting on a stand patiently awaiting its transplant. It was gonna go in the lowrider, but didn't quite make it. Either way the motor's getting freshened up and possibly stroked with a new M122 on top. The motor in ST will come out, get rebuilt with some goodies (the forged pistons from the mustang block May get used in the rebuild) and then swapped into SVT...

SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Oh well, at least the Explorer gave you some good parts. Are you going to use the GT40(P) heads on the 89 motor?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
No, most likely I'll be selling the "P" heads. The mustang block will get a set of AFR aluminum heads, most likely the 185 series. I already have a complete fead from a jy ex motor, so basically I have 3 complete ex motors, one has the gt40 heads, one has the P heads, and the spare motor right now has E7 heads...

SVT

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
A reminder that the A9L and A9P are not interchangeable if using the older EECIV harness. The O2 sensors are a different setup. I'm not an expert enough to tell you how to get the later harness to work, but be careful mixing parts.

jab677

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the help guys its appreciated. I have a web paged book marked showing the difference in the O2 harnesses so I should be good there. Its a matter of having a jumper on the right pins. And SVT.....I am kinda jealous seeing a boosted 5.0 sitting in a TJ. Let me know how long that NV3550 lasts! lol

jab677

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a pic of my working progress to those interested....

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals