• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is the mazda b4000 a reliable truck?

kawana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I found a 94 B4000 4x4 5spd with 184,000km's on it (114,332 miles) for $1000. To me, this sounds too good to be true, but im gunna check it out anyways. Are these trucks reliable? What should I look for when checking it out? Problem areas for rust? Am I correct that the v6 is the 4L, the same as whats in the rangers/explorers? Im just trying to figure out why its so cheap, any ranger with these specs (4x4,5spd,4L, lower km's) are going for like $4000+...

ZackW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I just bought my 94 B4000 with 181k mileso n it, and it still runs and drives great. One thing I would definitely look at are the rear shackles and mounts. They seem to rust out on these trucks fairly often. I had a shop replace mine after I bought the parts, and it was probably about $500 total ($175 just in parts), lot less if ya do it yourself though. But if they are rusted out, use that as a bargaining chip to get the price dropped even lower.

I haven't had this truck long enough to really recommend any spots to really check out, but in general check the undercarriage for abnormal amounts of rust just like any car. Make sure the engine has no deep knocks which indicate bad pistons/cylinders. The 4x4 auto hubs are probably non-functional if they haven't already been replaced by manuals. Motor on the transfer case seems to go out too, especially if it doesn't get much use.

As for reliability, it is a Ranger. Everything on it that matters is the same as a Ranger, only difference is some sheet metal. The 4000 only comes with the 4.0L which is the same engine used in all Ford trucks/suvs. As for why the price is so much lower, people probably think they're not the same as a Ranger, thus not worth the same. I know there's virtually no aftermarket for the Mazda, though a lot of Ranger items will fit, aside from head/taillights.

I paid $500 for my 94 B4000, and it was well worth it. After fixing the shackles I was right around $1k invested. Still drop money into it, but nothing major needed fixed on it aside from that.

sfwjesse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The frame in the back is where you typically see problems. The shackles will almost certainly be sketchy, but you can replace those. Just make sure they frame they bolt too is ok.
The B4000 is a 4L. I bought a 93 with 118k and ive found it to be very reliable once i ironed out the bugs. I got it for 600, but had to put about 1400 into it to get it perfect. My guess is yours needs some work.

kawana

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a feeling there is something majorly wrong with it, that he doesn't wanna tell me about lol. I asked him
Hey, Im interested in your Mazda 4x4 for sale, do you have a phone number I can reach you at? Where are you located? Are those original km's? Is there much rust? Thanks
His response:
am I asking $10,000 or $1,000. Remember the price of my truck is only $1,000..... My tires alone cost that...
Didn't answer either of my questions :p Even still, ill check it out.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found a 94 B4000 4x4 5spd with 184,000km's on it (114,332 miles) for $1000. To me, this sounds too good to be true, but im gunna check it out anyways. Are these trucks reliable? What should I look for when checking it out? Problem areas for rust? Am I correct that the v6 is the 4L, the same as whats in the rangers/explorers? Im just trying to figure out why its so cheap, any ranger with these specs (4x4,5spd,4L, lower km's) are going for like $4000+...
I dont know where you are located, Canada?, europe? around where i am from that truck is worth about the asking price. I am sure it needs some work. The 4.0 is better than the 3.0. You can buy the hangers and shackles for the truck for under $100 and it will take about 4 hours to put them on. the slave cylinders are a weak spot and the tranny needs to be removed. the heater core is easy to change on the 94. ....

ZackW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
His response alone to your simple question about the rust answers a lot of others. Basically he is saying that he's selling it for the cost of the tires, which generally means there's something wrong with the truck. It could be something minor, but he thinks it's worse than it is, or it could be something bad and he doesn't want to say.

For $1k it'd still be worth it to go check out, just make sure to really listen to it run, drive it a bit aggressively (if he lets you test drive it), and crawl under it to look at the frame and underbody. If ya can't drive it, kick/shake the tires to see if there's any noise in the hubs/bearings/cv joints. Look for oil built up on the bottom half of the engine to see if any of the major seals are leaking. Check the dipstick to make sure the oil is still black and has no water built up in it.

It could be that just the shackles are bad and he doesn't want to mess with them, you could still get a nice truck out of it. Or the 4WD is out, which is fairly common between the hubs and transfer case motor. Rust on body panels isn't a real big deal as long as it's not the cab itself, everything is pretty easily replaced.

firenexx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The B4000 is a pretty great truck, I got my '94 with 161k about a year ago. I say, go check it out and see if it's worth it.

If taken care of well throughout the years, it will last you another hundred thousand miles. If not, well expect to be throwing lots and lots of money into it for the next 20-40k and then giving up.

I concur with what was said about the rust in the rear. One of my rear leaf spring hangers recently rusted and broke; while I wish I had enough dough to do all the hangers and shackles; I'll just be replacing the broken one but wire-wheeling and painting everything I see so that hopefully by the time I have enough dinero to do a whole rear suspension job nothing else will have broken. It's all pretty sketchy back there but fortunately the frame is still in great shape.

Last edited:

DavidBKennard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 94 B4000 about four months ago for $1,800. I replaced the 4WD hubs with new manual locking hubs and the passenger side leaf spring hanger. It's got a fair amount of rust on the bed, but otherwise is in decent shape. Still runs strong. I still need to replace the gas tank, and power steering pump - which is whining. It may need a A/C recharge as well. All minor junk. AND if anyone knows where to by a bed for it, let me know. davidbkennard@yahoo.com

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
this thread is 2 years old dude

ChicBowdrie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Would I be in error to ask a question on such an old thread? If not, by shackles, I'm assuming you guys are talking about the parts that attach the leaves to the frame?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Still wondering about the 94 b4000 in 2018! May be buying one tomorrow. Price is down to $450 nowadays.:yahoo:
The Mazda B series trucks are pretty much Ford Rangers in almost every way. If you look at it and think it's a good buy, then go for it. Just don't be surprised if there is a lot of work that needs done to it. It is 24 years old and may have been used and abused it's whole life.

I bought a 1998 Ranger off a coworker knowing the engine was shot. Got it running and did some work on it. I found the RWD only and 2.5 Lima engine to not be matching up for what I needed but that is no fault of the truck. I sold it to a buddy for him to use for his handyman business about 7 years ago and he loves it and it is still running strong. Just make sure the truck will match your expectations and it will be golden.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The Mazda B series trucks are pretty much Ford Rangers in almost every way. If you look at it and think it's a good buy, then go for it. Just don't be surprised if there is a lot of work that needs done to it. It is 24 years old and may have been used and abused it's whole life.
The B series after 94. The early ones were nothing like a ranger in terms of anything :)

Just a friendly correction

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The B series after 94. The early ones were nothing like a ranger in terms of anything :)

Just a friendly correction

I was not aware of that. I always thought they were siblings. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This is like, 87ish to 93 Bseries.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals