• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger 2.3 several questions...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I realize that some of these probably belong in other forums but I'm not actually trying to fix anything right now, just trying to figure out what is normal or not?

I bought this truck back in June, here goes...

1. When I turn the steering wheel the power steering pump sounds like an old school bus.

2. When I have the transmission out of gear and my foot off of the clutch I can hear a cyclical noise like an old top loading washing machine during the spin cycle.

3. When shifting from 1st to 2nd and then letting off the clutch pedal I can hear and feel a BANG noise, no other gears do this.

4. When I plug my phone's charging cable in, and then plug in the audio cable into the AUX jack on the stereo at the same time I get an insane amount of engine/alternator noise.

5. Where is a good place to get a guard to keep the fog lights from getting broken?

6. When I let a gear bog down too much or start out in the wrong gear I hear what sounds like gravel being thrown into a fan.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1-3 + 6. You have an M5OD-R1 transmission, Rangers used these from 1988 to 2012, good reliable transmission, except for yours :)

Doesn't read like a pilot or throwout bearing issue, which leaves transmission issue

The input gear is one problem that comes up, not common, but if there is a problem input gear seems to come up more often.

M5OD-R1 uses ATF, yes, automatic transmission fluid in a manual trans
People have put in Gear Oil, which causes problem, and usually drain it and put in the correct ATF, Mercon V
You should check what you have in there now

M5OD-R1 is engine specific, it does not have a detachable bell housing
So you have an M5OD-R1 2.3l transmission, and I assume 2WD not 4x4, which matters as well.

If you wanted to replace this transmission you would need a 1988 to 1997 M5OD-R1 2.3l 2WD replacement, 2001 and up 2.3l would not work, different 2.3l engine
3.0l or 4.0l M5OD-R1 would not work
Because the M5OD-R1 was very reliable a used one is not a big gamble, still rolling the dice but they are LOADED in your favor, lol.

You can also rebuild the M5OD-R1

M5OD-R1 is abbreviated as M5R1, some sellers use that designation

4. You can try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Kript-Eliminate-Electrical-permalloy-Transformers/dp/B01N7QSOO8/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RYNRBMCBBYXZQKVJ8RGG

Its a transformer so no direct connection and it should isolate radio from most system "noise"

5. Google: fog light protector
Many mesh covers out there, just match your size

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If the spark plug wires are made of wire instead of 'radio suppression' material, you may be getting RF from them.
The alternator may be producing 'hash' noise, which may be reduced by use of a capacitor or replacing the factory capacitor that is connected to the regulator(alternator control).
tom

kishy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, RCLB
Engine Size
95 2.3 EFI Swap
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
6. When I let a gear bog down too much or start out in the wrong gear I hear what sounds like gravel being thrown into a fan.
I cannot be of assistance with anything else, but that sound is exactly how people (and occasionally I) would describe spark knock/detonation.

You could prove the point by, when the tank is close to empty, filling with premium and seeing if the same persists. If it improves or possibly goes away then that's what it is.

Without knowing the 2.3 better, and especially without knowing EEC-V engine controls, I can't provide any useful pointers on how to correct it. You should in the meantime adjust your driving style to not let it happen though.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1-3 + 6. You have an M5OD-R1 transmission, Rangers used these from 1988 to 2012, good reliable transmission, except for yours :)

Doesn't read like a pilot or throwout bearing issue, which leaves transmission issue

The input gear is one problem that comes up, not common, but if there is a problem input gear seems to come up more often.

M5OD-R1 uses ATF, yes, automatic transmission fluid in a manual trans
People have put in Gear Oil, which causes problem, and usually drain it and put in the correct ATF, Mercon V
You should check what you have in there now

M5OD-R1 is engine specific, it does not have a detachable bell housing
So you have an M5OD-R1 2.3l transmission, and I assume 2WD not 4x4, which matters as well.

If you wanted to replace this transmission you would need a 1988 to 1997 M5OD-R1 2.3l 2WD replacement, 2001 and up 2.3l would not work, different 2.3l engine
3.0l or 4.0l M5OD-R1 would not work
Because the M5OD-R1 was very reliable a used one is not a big gamble, still rolling the dice but they are LOADED in your favor, lol.

You can also rebuild the M5OD-R1

M5OD-R1 is abbreviated as M5R1, some sellers use that designation

4. You can try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Kript-Eliminate-Electrical-permalloy-Transformers/dp/B01N7QSOO8/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RYNRBMCBBYXZQKVJ8RGG

Its a transformer so no direct connection and it should isolate radio from most system "noise"

5. Google: fog light protector
Many mesh covers out there, just match your size
I have the 1996 Ranger XL, 2.3, standard cab, manual transmission 4x4, 108" wheel base.

Any thoughts on # 1?

2 and 3 -

I think that the transmission is ok I drive it 50 miles+ per day going back and forth to work and am really not having any problems with it.

I'm not looking to do any work on it mostly though I'm just trying to find out if what I'm experiencing is to be expected with this truck or if I have some impending DOOM coming my way and should look into doing some preventative maintenance while I'm still parked in my own driveway and not broke down somewhere.

I have no idea what it has for oil in it, the previous owner seemed to take meticulous care of things so I'm assuming that they filled it with the correct fluid at some point, none-the-less... it has been on my list of things to do to dump and refill it with "Mercon V" as well as with the transfer case.

It does however take some effort to push the stick shift into each gear, but I have driven a Jeep Wrangler before and its shifter had what I would call a "Pop Locker" that popped the shifter into each gear so that it would not pop out on rough terrain, so I'm assuming that this transmission has some sort of pop locker as well.

6 - The noise I'm hearing seems to be coming from under the truck and not from the engine compartment, its kind of like a metal timing chain is dragging on an aluminum cover, or some sort of reverser clutch is trying to limit the power going through the drive train, its an odd noise I've never had a vehicle before that made this type of noise.

4 - Thank you, that is cheap enough that even if it doesn't solve the problem it won't be a huge gamble.

5 - Thanks I'll see what I can find.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For the power steering pump, Ford power steering pumps are known for that noise... it's a feature I believe :). Honestly most people I know have that noise with Ford power steering pumps, of all the Ford's (9) I've had over the years I've only had I think 2 that did it, my Ranger is one of those but only when it's low on fluid or hot from running it too hard.

On the transmission, I'm betting it has gear oil in it, at least half your symptoms are what people talk about when they find gear oil in a M5OD... I've rebuilt mine, pretty easy really, I've been very impressed over the years with my Ranger on the M5OD trans, can take some abuse and shifts pretty quick once you get the hang of it, I have 19 years behind the wheel of mine...

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Hi, I realize that some of these probably belong in other forums but I'm not actually trying to fix anything right now, just trying to figure out what is normal or not?

I bought this truck back in June, here goes...

1. When I turn the steering wheel the power steering pump sounds like an old school bus.

2. When I have the transmission out of gear and my foot off of the clutch I can hear a cyclical noise like an old top loading washing machine during the spin cycle.

3. When shifting from 1st to 2nd and then letting off the clutch pedal I can hear and feel a BANG noise, no other gears do this.

4. When I plug my phone's charging cable in, and then plug in the audio cable into the AUX jack on the stereo at the same time I get an insane amount of engine/alternator noise.

5. Where is a good place to get a guard to keep the fog lights from getting broken?

First I hope you enjoy that 2.3 4x4 Ranger they are getting to be very uncommon and are reliable little trucks capable of excellent fuel economy, I have one too

1. As others have said the power steering whine is very common. As long as the power steering still works, I wouldn't fret the noise much. Flushing the power steering helped reduce my whine a lot. It's pretty easy to do. Process: Use a 3/8" drive ratchet to relieve the fan belt tensioner, slip the belt off the power steering pulley. Use a turkey baster to remove as much ATF from the power steering reservoir as you can. The return hose is clamped to an outlet under the power steering reservoir- you can see it through the driver side wheel well. Have a rubber cap ready, undo the clamp, and slide the return hose off. Try to get that rubber cap onto the return hose fitting of the reservoir as quick as you can. It's a plastic reservoir so be gentle with this part. Next, hook the return hose up to some polyvinyl tubing and get the end of the polyvinyl tubing into a drain pan. Now, add fresh ATF (should be regular Merc if I'm not mistaken) into the reservoir, and use your hand to turn the power steering pulley. You will suck ATF through and out the return hose into the drain pan. Repeat until the fluid coming out is nice and clean. I was also taking brakes to cycle the steering wheel while I did this (I had the front end on jack stands) but I don't know how critical that is. Just be sure not to let the reservoir get low, and do not use the engine to spin the power steering because it will bleed it dry way faster than you can add fluid. Once the fluid looks good just reinstall the return hose and make sure the reservoir is at the correct level. Takes maybe 2 quarts of ATF at worst to flush it.

2. Every 93-97 Ranger I have had with the M5OD transmission (manual) has made that "whooshing" cyclical sound you're describing. I always chocked it up to the fluid moving. I never had reliability issues with any of those transmissions, and two of them had 300K miles and has been abused quite badly

3. While this may be an issue with the transmission, check your rear driveshaft u joints for posterity as well as your rear spring hanger and leaf spring bushings. My truck makes bangs like you're describing and once it was a really bad u joint, and the other times it has been totally shot bushings on the rear suspension parts allowing so much give that the torque upon clutch release was slamming these parts around. It sounds weird but those things were my issues

4. Would be worth checking/replacing your radio capacitor on the front ignition coil pack. it is there to reduce electrical interference from the ignition system that can affect your radio ("radio noise"). May not be your problem but is easy and should help (has helped me before).

6. The M50D is very noisy in my opinion. I've yet to have a quiet one, but I have also yet to have one that wasn't reliable. The 2.3 is easy to lug being pretty anemic in the power department and lugging hard enough will definitely make these transmissions make some awful noise. The plate at the base of the shifter has rubber boots which tear, Dorman offers a shifter rebuild kit for less than $20 which can be installed easily with the transmission in the truck, I've done this twice and it helps quiet some noise you hear from the transmission

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First I hope you enjoy that 2.3 4x4 Ranger they are getting to be very uncommon and are reliable little trucks capable of excellent fuel economy, I have one too

1. As others have said the power steering whine is very common. As long as the power steering still works, I wouldn't fret the noise much. Flushing the power steering helped reduce my whine a lot. It's pretty easy to do. Process: Use a 3/8" drive ratchet to relieve the fan belt tensioner, slip the belt off the power steering pulley. Use a turkey baster to remove as much ATF from the power steering reservoir as you can. The return hose is clamped to an outlet under the power steering reservoir- you can see it through the driver side wheel well. Have a rubber cap ready, undo the clamp, and slide the return hose off. Try to get that rubber cap onto the return hose fitting of the reservoir as quick as you can. It's a plastic reservoir so be gentle with this part. Next, hook the return hose up to some polyvinyl tubing and get the end of the polyvinyl tubing into a drain pan. Now, add fresh ATF (should be regular Merc if I'm not mistaken) into the reservoir, and use your hand to turn the power steering pulley. You will suck ATF through and out the return hose into the drain pan. Repeat until the fluid coming out is nice and clean. I was also taking brakes to cycle the steering wheel while I did this (I had the front end on jack stands) but I don't know how critical that is. Just be sure not to let the reservoir get low, and do not use the engine to spin the power steering because it will bleed it dry way faster than you can add fluid. Once the fluid looks good just reinstall the return hose and make sure the reservoir is at the correct level. Takes maybe 2 quarts of ATF at worst to flush it.

2. Every 93-97 Ranger I have had with the M5OD transmission (manual) has made that "whooshing" cyclical sound you're describing. I always chocked it up to the fluid moving. I never had reliability issues with any of those transmissions, and two of them had 300K miles and has been abused quite badly

3. While this may be an issue with the transmission, check your rear driveshaft u joints for posterity as well as your rear spring hanger and leaf spring bushings. My truck makes bangs like you're describing and once it was a really bad u joint, and the other times it has been totally shot bushings on the rear suspension parts allowing so much give that the torque upon clutch release was slamming these parts around. It sounds weird but those things were my issues

4. Would be worth checking/replacing your radio capacitor on the front ignition coil pack. it is there to reduce electrical interference from the ignition system that can affect your radio ("radio noise"). May not be your problem but is easy and should help (has helped me before).

6. The M50D is very noisy in my opinion. I've yet to have a quiet one, but I have also yet to have one that wasn't reliable. The 2.3 is easy to lug being pretty anemic in the power department and lugging hard enough will definitely make these transmissions make some awful noise. The plate at the base of the shifter has rubber boots which tear, Dorman offers a shifter rebuild kit for less than $20 which can be installed easily with the transmission in the truck, I've done this twice and it helps quiet some noise you hear from the transmission
Thank you to everyone that replied but I only wanted to quote one message and not make a big mess out of this.

1. The power steering pump... My last car it didn't make any noise at all, but if this is normal I'm just not going to worry about it.

2. The "whooshing" sound... again if its normal I'm not going to worry about it, I've been adjusting my driving habits and going back up to a higher ratio'ed gear and not letting it bog down and its been making the noise less often.

3. I hadn't even thought of it being a suspension or a U-joint issue but those would make sense since I start out pretty gently in 1st gear to get the truck moving but dump the clutch really quickly to get it into 2nd gear so I am throwing a lot of torque at everything suddenly in 2nd which is still a pretty torquey gear on its own.

4. Elsewhere in this thread someone posted a link to a ground loop isolater from Amazon.com or something, it was cheap enough to take a gamble on and sure enough it worked perfectly, no more engine noise and it actually made the volume a little louder.

6. (5?) The shifter boots on this truck are fine, I think someone replaced them not long before I bought the truck.

Aside from number 3. I'm considering all of these resolved, but if the drive lines have no slop and there is nothing obvious going on with the suspension I'm just going to leave things alone.

Thanks again everyone.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals