• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD Gear Shift Issue

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have successfully install a new input shaft on the M5OD trans. I was able to remove the output bearing by adding straps to my pulley puller so that it extended to the end of the output shaft. Worked great.

I have installed the M5OD trans (for an 98 Ext) into my 86 B2. I noticed that when I put on the gear shift lever (from an Exp I think) it comes close to the dash panel. I doubt I can get it into first. (4.0 engine not in yet) I must have gotten the the incorrect shift lever. What is my solution? I did need to cut the tunnel to accept the trans shift post which moved forward compared to the original location.

Tomorrow the engine goes in and I start on the wiring.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pics?

I had to chop a small section out of the floor pan in my 87 to make the M5OD fit. It does get close to the dash, but makes 1st gear.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
There is only 1 style shifter for the M5OD. (technically 2, but the only difference is the pinch bolt is either inline or 90° to the trans. They both have the same degree of bend to them.) Which way does it bend? Toward the driver or the rear of the truck? If you put the newer style onto the older trans it would bend to the driver, not back.

What trans was in your truck? If you had an FM145 its shorter then the M5OD (2-3") and you have to move the crossmember back to the A4LD mounting holes.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 86 B2 with a M50D from an Explorer and mine clears nicely.Did you put the slots in the tranny in a row?Is it shifting normal in the other gears.

Reread the post I bet snoranger is right mine was the A4LD everything bolted right up.When you put the 4.0 in there you'll see it has to be moved I put them both in at once and it just sat on the mounts like it was made there motor and tranny.

Just as a motivation went out a few weeks ago with my B2 and 4 TJ jeeps really holds it's own on the highway and off road.I was getting compliments as far as good running and performing well.I bring this up because what your doing is worth while even when it doesn't come easy.So many Jeep owners think the only way to get good results on and off road is a Jeep it feels good to be different.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The original trans is a FM145. I moved the trans cross menber back the necessary 3 inches to the rear holes in the frame.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I bet snoranger is right
I bet snoranger is wrong. I converted from a 145 and rather than sitting in the wrong spot compared to the cab's interior, the trans just doesn't line up with the cross memeber if you don't move it back.

I think you guys are forgetting that the engine is bolted to the frame as well. It won't just slide forward when you bolt the trans to it.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
(4.0 engine not in yet)
I bet snoranger is wrong. I converted from a 145 and rather than sitting in the wrong spot compared to the cab's interior, the trans just doesn't line up with the cross memeber if you don't move it back.

I think you guys are forgetting that the engine is bolted to the frame as well. It won't just slide forward when you bolt the trans to it.
This is why I said what I said! There is no engine to bolt the trans to.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea Adsm 08 is thinking the 2.9 is still in there just hasn't converted to the 4.0 yet.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Think I have solved the issue. I did not have the engine in and the trans was not at the correct angle. It was lower in front and the gear shift lever was tilted forward. When I jacked the trans up to what I think is design location the lever moves to an acceptable position. Thanks for all the input. Keep you all posted after I get in the engine. Wiring is the tedious operation.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
haha, yeah. I was thinking there was an engine in there still.

Having an M5OD in the cross member location for the FM145 still won't produce the OP's result. When all else is situated properly the M5OD's shifter is ~2" forward of the FM145's. The FM145's mount sits ~2" forward of the M5OD's. That means that if the M5OD is placed in the alignment of the FM145 the shifter will sit about 4" forward of center of a 6" hole in the floor.

It will hit an inch in front of the leading edge of the hole.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals