• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

its broken

Contrldsub

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On my way to work this morning i started hearing a loud metal on metal rattling. got under the truck and noticed the driverside center leaf was broken and had come out of place. im not ready to do a lift yet still putting all the parts together to get a SAS in first. could i buy a set of add-a-leaf's and just replace the center leaf on both sides? i know they will add some lift and thats fine really but i dont want to replace the whole spring because of cost and then its likely to lean to the passenger side unless i do that one too.

to me it seems like it should work out fine and its also be cheaper and less foolish than replacing one side or both sides to keep it looking straight.

comments?

where can i find them?

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you're not ready to install a lift yet, I would recommend just removing the broken piece and going like that. No sense in wasting good money if you're gonna be replacing them when you do a lift anyway. It's not gonna hurt anything so long as nothing is flopping around and you don't put a load in it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
^^^^ what he said

Plus I hate add a leafs, I've hated them ever since one tried to kill me when the centering pin sheared and leafs shot out from under the truck like they were being launched from a cannon. I wasn't even messing with the spring pack, I was taking the axle out!

As far as the spring goes, as long as it cracked after the U-bolts, just pull the loose piece out and run it like that for now. My F-150 had a cracked leaf like that and I ran it for a good couple months before fixing the spring pack. Just be careful of how much weight you put in the bed and how hard you drive and you should be ok.

I have a bunch of spare leaf spring parts laying around here because I fab my own spring packs a lot of times. My 00 Ranger got a custom spring pack, so did my choptop and F-150. It's not hard to tear them apart and rebuild 'em. If you had an extra leaf the correct size, you could even swap the leaf on the truck, just pull the U-bolts, pull the centering pin, swap the leaf, new centering pin (from a spring shop), and put it back together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals