• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Two years after the roll, I'm getting another ranger.

swtjames23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well, I'm finally gonna do it. I'm gonna buy another Ranger after I rolled my '93 back in 2009. She (may she rest in pieces at John's Wreckers) was a 1993 SC XLT 4.0 V6 manual tranny, case and hubs. I'm buying an identical '95 tomorrow for an unbelievable $900, the only catch is it needs a new motor and clutch. Here's the kicker though, a spare 4.0L V6 with 92,000 miles is included with the truck! :headbang:

Here's where I need help. Should I modify this "new" V6 before I put it in? I'm talking power adding modifications. Or, should I ditch the V6 altogether and go with a 302?

I want reliability and affordability. I'd love some input from guys who have swapped a 5.0L into a ranger like this before. What kind of price range should I expect if I went that direction? Any input/comments are encouraged! I need some inspiration.. and please, someone tell me if this isn't as good of a deal as it seems, I've got my ranger-goggles on... it's been over 2 years!

Here's the $900 gem:

Attachments

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have I mentioned I like stepping into these threads and saying,

Put a V-8 in it, NOW!

That is all.

But seriously, There is a ton of info in the tech library, and the swap in the 93-97's is very easy as far as getting the engine in, but there is a bit of wiring IIRC, and you will be semi-limited to which 5.0's you would be picking from depending upon the wiring. I'd imagine a 94-95 mustang 5.0 would be easiest?

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Build the 4.0 up a little bit. If you can afford it, build a Eaton M90 adapter, and run that with the nice rebuild.

swtjames23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input guys.

Trust me, I'd love to put a 302 in, I just can't afford it right now. The motor it came with should bolt right up but it's clearly been sitting awhile and I'd like to clean it up before I put it in.

This is a budget truck for now. Hunting/fishing/dump runs etc. I guess what I'm looking for is the essentials. What things would be easy and cheap to check and/or fix in this replacement motor before I drop it in? And what would I be stupid NOT to do while this motor is out? I can always add later when the dollars are more.. Uh.. readily available.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oil pan gasket, front and rear main seals, check the timing chain and all the gaskets to get there and back, valve cover gaskets.

You will never find a better time to change the oil pump and pickup than when you have the pan off. Same goes for the water pump if you are checking the timing set.

While I had my 302 on the stand it got a oil pump, oil pump driveshaft, pickup, crankshaft seals, oil pan gasket (steel reinforced rubber), timing set and a rebuilt water pump.

Why? because it would have been a major PITA to change that stuff in the truck vs on the stand and since I bought the engine used I had no idea what kind of shape anything was in without at least opening it up. The nylon timing sprockets were so shot I could almost work the chain off with my fingers... so IMO it was well worth checking out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals