• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BFG Rugged Terrain vs All Terrain

westonmt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Wanted to see if anyone has run both the new design BFG Rugged Terrain and the All Terrain. I'm about to buy a new set of tires and my daily driver sees mostly pavement but I want to be able to do some mild wheeling with it from time to time. I already know the All Terrain is a superb tire but these new Rugged Terrains caught my eye because of the better price. I see the reviews on them are favorable for on road traction and wet traction but I can't seem to find anyone who has put them in mild mud and sand... I'd rather spend the extra dough for the all terrain to keep from getting stuck, but if I can save a buck or two and still get good performance on the trail then I think it could be a win-win situation... opinions?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
your options are a tried and tested tire thats been stock on more offroad vehicles then any other, or a new tire thats not tested nearly as extensively.

IDK about you, but i swear by the BFG AT's. they are by no means a MUD tire, but my god are they amazing. my 2wd w/ 33x10.50 BFG AT's will go just about anywhere i want. Just sunday i was making it up hills that a 1500 4x4 couldnt do in 2wd.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I looked at a lot of reviews and talked with a kit if people that run bfg a/t. That's why I decided to go with Firestone destination a/t instead. Mist of the people I talked too thought they were over priced for the quality. Not that they are a bad tire, but the majority of people I talked to were not that impressed with them off road for an all terrain. Personally, I've been very happy with my Firestone destination a/t.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

westonmt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Soooo....decided to go with the Rugged Terrain. Decided to take one for the team and figured I follow up now that I've got about 7,000 miles on them and have put my truck in a variety of terrain.
Overall, I am very pleased. These tires have exceeded my expectations. Road manners and wet traction/braking were very good. No change in gas mileage from my previous set of tires. Dirt/gravel trails both dry and when it's raining, I find that I have very good response and traction up at speed when I'm horsing around. I've had A/T's before on my 75 FJ-40 and a F-150 and I actually like the Rugged Terrain better in the areas I've listed so far.
Off the trail in heavy pine-needles and loose dirt, I've had no issues... On par with other all terrain tires but I will admit that I prefer the BFG A/T in these areas, specifically going up hill... little more bite with the A/T but the Rugged Terrain passes the test.
I'm not a big fan of mud... unless it's someone else's truck but I gave it a try because my curiosity insisted. "Virgin" mud (i.e. no ruts to bottom out on) was a challenge as I expected but with some skill on how to keep the tires self cleaning I made it through a couple passes. I slid around a lot and that = fun but I found myself in trouble in the deeper stuff and needed to be pulled out when I tried to get going from a stand-still...no suprises. I've done the same with the A/T's and had similar problem but more control with the A/T's and my knuckles weren't as white!
Overall, the Rugged Terrain is a solid tire that shines on a daily driver (especially in the rain) and does the job quite well off-road on trails until you hit any significant mud. Obviously if you want to mud, get a different tire. I am happy I picked this tire over the A/T because I see mostly pavement. There's a light hum at high way speeds but nothing that will piss you off. After 7,000 miles I have very little little wear. If it wasn't for the dirt ring on the tires, I would think I just put them on! No issues with balancing as well. A little pricey but with the way they are wearing I wouldn't be suprised to get 60,000 miles out of them!:headbang:
Edit: Forgot to add a couple things... I don't have snow in Louisiana but I would venture to guess that they wouldn't be a good tire in the snow... there is no siping on this tire and I heard this is a must for the snow... Also one annoying thing I had to get used to but now I don't notice it as much... these tires will pick up every little rock on the planet. Once you get back to the pavement it'll take a couple seconds once you get up to speed to expel them all...

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Interestingly enough, my buddy uses Mud Terrain's on his Jeep that only sees action in Moab. He does rather well with them - even though he rolled it a couple weeks ago.

westonmt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Mud Terrains are a great tire. I had a set on an '89 Dodge Raider and was impressed with them. I thought about them for my Ranger, but I spend so much time on the road it would have been a waste. I always been one for function over form and laugh when I see a pristeen pick-up that doesn't have a trace of dirt sporting a pair of worn out mud grips that only have seen pavement. Hill Billy Deluxe comes to mind!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals