• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

All Terrain or Mud BFG Tires

san_matthew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am at the crossroads. All Terrain or Mud BFG Tires. I really like the look of the mud tires and it seems like the all terrain BFG are very common. The only downside I see with the mud tires is the noise. Can someone with experience with both types of tires give me some advice? I am planning on buying the tires today.

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm running 33 BFG Muds on my exploder and they're really not all that noisy. I had AT's but got rid of them quick as they were'nt the tire that suited my needs. IMO go for the muds, you won't be dissappointed.

RyanD2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Used to have 31's (all terrains) on my previous truck. They were good tires, quiet and not too expensive. Now I have 32's (Courser MT's), can't wait to get rid of them. I didn't use my truck for the highway or do a lot of driving when I bought the tires, but now that I do I hate them. So loud. Keep your eyes open I may be selling them dirt cheap or giving them away in the future.

san_matthew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The MT's you have, what brand are they? Is Courser the brand...I am no tire expert.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Depends on where you drive. Street/light offroad, get the ATs. Offroad, get the mudders.

Try and look for something that is easy to replace too. I'm running a set of 32" BFG ATs on one of mine and they are a bastard to find used. They are fairly loud but mudders are much worse.

madman_2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245 4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I have a friend who has Mastercraft. He has no noise with his. I think it depends on factors that I don't know about. I have Trail King Mud on mine. They're real noisy. I would prefer you go with A/T. I had Dexteros (cheaper tires so I was told $95 a piece) that were great. They were to play in the mud with and they lasted for a while. I even had a piece of wire that was sticking out of the sidewall and had it patched. Stayed aired up til I got new tires. Just look at the tread on the A/Ts and if they have some decent lugs get em.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The most important things are how you use the truck and what sort of terrain you encounter regularly. If you're on the road a lot and not much off-pavement, I'd go for a set of AT tires. If you're off road an in the mud all the time an not much pavement, get muds.

My Ranger sees mostly road use, but with working construction I often have to get off the road on a job somewhere so I wanted a tire that would bite. I didn't want muds because for the most part I didn't need 'em (plus muds tend to wear faster than AT tires). After seeing BFG AT tires turn into chocolate doughnuts at the mere sight of mud, I didn't want them either (not to mention just about everyone around here runs 'em on their yuppiemobiles). I looked around and settled on a set of Sport King AT tires and I've been impressed. The grip on wet pavement leaves a lil to be desired (they're about as good as any mud tire I've run but a lil worse than a normal street tread), but everything else from snow to ice to hardpack snow to dirt, gravel and mud, they've done better than I've expected. Treadwear has been good too, I have about 40k miles on 'em an there's still life left there, and I put some hard miles on too (burnouts an such). For 30" tires they were about a hundred each, a bit cheaper than BFGs.

san_matthew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good advice. There isn't a ton of mud here in AZ since in never rains, so the AT would probably be a better all around tire. The mud does look better and I have heard that the BFG muds last a long time, but I might not even need them and they cost about $25 more per tire.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'd look at getting a set of the Sport King AT tires then. Or if you want something that looks exotically wild, try a set of the Super Swamper Truxus tires and report back on how they do.

san_matthew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The truck guys just called today and said they aren't getting any new tires today, I am bummed and have to wait until tomorrow.

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
all i would say is if you go with the muds wait for a month and get the BFG KM2s they are totally awesome tire and they come out in all sizes in september (they are already available in some sizes), they are supposed to be fairly quiet on road too (for an MT anyways)

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/promo/km2/popPlayer.html

san_matthew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking at the KM2s and they look great, but they didn't have it in my size, like you said.

san_matthew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just called BFG. The size I want 31x10.50R15 for the KM2 is coming out on August 18th. So I will just wait a couple more weeks and get a better tire for only $7 more per tire than the KM. The video said the side walls on the KM2 are 3 times stronger than the KM, so that is worth it. I can drive on these tires for another couple weeks, even if it does look funny with the front lifted and 2 stock worn out Goodyear tires.

MikeWild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991 Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I can drive on these tires for another couple weeks, even if it does look funny with the front lifted and 2 stock worn out Goodyear tires.
that's what I did when I was waiting for my LTB's to come in, lifted 9 inches and rolling on 31's :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals