• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best 2wd Daily Driver Rear End

Steves0118

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My father-in-law just bought a new-er Ranger. He is going from a 1998 4 cylinder, 2WD, 5-speed to a 2005 3.0L V6, 2WD, Automatic. He lives in Iowa and is concearned about winter driving with an automatic transmission. The new-er Ranger has a door code "97" rear axle (8.8" 4.10 open differential). He asked me about changing the rear end. This will be a daily driver and he wants something reliable and cheap. What would you recommend? Would a stock tracloc swap be a good upgrade?

I read some comments about the Powertrax that said they ratchet through corners. Since it is a daily driver this will not be acceptable.

Thanks,
Steve

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Tracloc would be good, but the best would be a Torsen (available in the FX4 Level 2) or Detroit Tru-Trac geared limited slip diff.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Power-Trax comes in two versions, the No-Slip is the reccomended for more of a street type application. I've had one in my auto 4.0L 4x4 for over 30K miles here thru the Wisconsin Winters and had no problem. Easy to set-up and do right in your drive-way.
Dave

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just went through my first Iowa winter with a 3.73 open diff. Traction wasnt a huge problem, didn't even get any sand tubes, but dealing with the winds on the open fields was. The cheap option is to just load up some sand tubes over the wheel wells to get some traction. But again, no differential is going to make driving in 25-30 mph cross winds on snow/ice any easier.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why does an automatic make him worry about winter driving?

A factory tracloc would be great, I would just stick in a axle that came with it, keep an eye on what gears are in it though. If they are different it his spedometer will be off.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
Why does an automatic make him worry about winter driving?

A factory tracloc would be great, I would just stick in a axle that came with it, keep an eye on what gears are in it though. If they are different it his spedometer will be off.
It is MUCH easier to control a manual trans in the snow IF the driver is skilled. If the drivers driving skills are terrible they should have an automatic. I agree hands down, get a 5speed!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is MUCH easier to control a manual trans in the snow IF the driver is skilled. If the drivers driving skills are terrible they should have an automatic. I agree hands down, get a 5speed!

Meh, I have drove automatics in Iowa for years, so far I have kept it between the lines.

It is one less thing to think about, I have driven a FWD 5-speed that I had for awhile thru worst stuff than I have with my 4x4's, it did nothing for me in winter. Sure you can downshift to slow down... you can with an automatic too.

People also almost always think they they are a better driver than they are...

pdmustgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Snow this year in Iowa naa we didn't too much of it :D. Unlike in the past 3 years plus the blizzard 2 years ago. Damn near bury my truck in a hugh snow driff. Seen the snow was at the bottom of the mail box. After the blizzard they plowed it and it was turned into 8 foot deep drift 300 ft long. Thats what I get for screwing around on the country roads in a blizzard just west of des moines.

I had trac-loc in it at that time I just put Torsen diff in 2 weeks ago.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
Meh, I have drove automatics in Iowa for years, so far I have kept it between the lines.

It is one less thing to think about, I have driven a FWD 5-speed that I had for awhile thru worst stuff than I have with my 4x4's, it did nothing for me in winter. Sure you can downshift to slow down... you can with an automatic too.

People also almost always think they they are a better driver than they are...
Your welcome to come out and wheel with us any time. I betcha change your tune.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snow this year in Iowa naa we didn't too much of it :D. Unlike in the past 3 years plus the blizzard 2 years ago. Damn near bury my truck in a hugh snow driff. Seen the snow was at the bottom of the mail box. After the blizzard they plowed it and it was turned into 8 foot deep drift 300 ft long. Thats what I get for screwing around on the country roads in a blizzard just west of des moines.

You should visit the Eastern side of the state more often. We hit our season average of snow by the middle of January, and got 46" (vs. 33" normal) for the entire season. My wife's first winter (she's from NC) :)

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I would get the No-Slip, for a locker it is pretty smooth. Proper snow tires like Blizzaks make a huge difference too, and get four of them. Got Blizzaks on my wife's Taurus and it goes as good in snow, even deep stuff, as my truck and probably stops better (the OE Goodyears are horrible at braking in snow).
BFG and Pro Comp All-Terrains are very good in snow if he wants to keep the same tires on year-round.
An upside to the Ford automatic is that if you put it in 2nd gear, you will start out in 2nd gear. This is useful to get rolling if things are really slippery.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your welcome to come out and wheel with us any time. I betcha change your tune.

Wheeling has very little to do with how a 2wd truck behaves on the street in snow.

An upside to the Ford automatic is that if you put it in 2nd gear, you will start out in 2nd gear. This is useful to get rolling if things are really slippery.
I do that all the time in my F-150, it really makes a difference. It has to be an electronically controlled transmixer though, my vacuum shift Ranger still starts in first and will only shift up to second in second gear.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Yeah, I would almost rather have a blizzard than some of the crap we got this year...

I think there was only one storm that I really needed to blade the driveway aside from knocking down the snowplow wall they leave at the end, the rest was an excuse to play with the tractor.:yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals