• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

an exploder!

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
so after only ever seeing a rbv in my yard i deiced to work on something a bit different.. i own a 2wd slammed yellow ranger, a lifted black ranger an a 88 b2 tuff truck.. they have all been custom built an its been a great experience i needed a new project... well my pop owns a 93 4x4 ranger, a 93 4x4 explorer 2 door an just picked up a 85 b2 to turn into a tuff truck.. well i decided to build up the explorer.. i said hell. no one in this area has one . all my friends are mostly ranger owners, we all have a lifted ranger, a lifted explorer is gonna look sweet...

it was bought back in 00 with 40k on it. fully loaded.. 235s 3.27s a4ld well since hes owned it nothing has really been touched on it so the maintenance department has been a little weak. It now has 84k. Hes one of those guys, if its not broke dont fix it.. so i started gathering components to lift it. i picked up some 4inch pivot brackets from another member on here took the 4inch r/c coils an rad drop brackets out of my black truck ,got some 4inch lift shocks from my buddy who sold his f150 and bought a new rear axle from another member over at rps that came out of a newer explorer. 3.73s ls disc.
then i was searching craigslist an picked up some 33.12.50.15 procomp tires and black cragar wheels for 100 bucks.. 3 of the tires are in great shape an ones bald. but for 100 bucks how can you go wrong..

well as you know once you start to tear into something you find other problems that need to be addressed.. so after getting the axle mocked up an the spring perches re welded to a spring over position i needed to bolt up the sway bar an shocks.. well sway bar was too short an the stock shocks were too long.. so i cut off the sway bar an bolted the shocks to the top of the sway bar mounts . worked out great! then i had to i had to work on making new leaf spring mounts.. i made new shackles 3 years ago for it an apparently you cant buy left spring mounts from ford any more. so i had some chunks of 2x6 1/4 wall box tubing that i used an cut out some mounts..

inorder to bolt up the new mounts the gas tank needed to be dropped. so what else do i see wrong.. gas tank straps are rotted. get gas tank dropped build some new straps out of 2x 1/8th flat bar an get everything back in place. get new axle bolted up calipers bled drive shaft hooked up an i start it up an i smell fuel.. well fuel lines at the sending unit were DESTROYED.

so down to the parts store i go an order a new one for 100 bucks..

came back an started tackling the front, went fairly easy considering its been apart not too long ago, get the new brackets an everything bolted up noticed the driver brake line looked pretty gimppy, no biggy i had a new one for it in a bag that was never put on.. once you change a brake line what needs to be done? brake bleeding.. the bleeder valves on the calpers were Non existing so off to the parts store i go an order up some new ones.. now ive got great brakes! i decided to tackle the exhaust an get rid of the leaks.. cat flange muffler flange took the torch an grinder cut cat off punched out the flange bolts. got some new bolts an muffler putty an no more leaks! noticed a little leak look at the collectors an yeah.. the flanges are just about non existing so i kinda "dont" remember seeing them haha. after that was finished had one last thing to do was replace the speedo gear.. its a bad thing when the housing falls apart before you get it out of the vehicle.. luckly a friend had a spare..

take it down the road it its got a bit of bump steer. i think this will get fixed once i get a drop pitman arm for it an i also noticed a vibration at about 25 miles an hour:annoyed:.. once you hit about 32 it goes away. change the front rear shaft u joint an it helped a little but its still there.. all in all theirs still a few more kinks to work out.. has a 2inch rake with a 6inch lift out back from doing a spring over conversion an the front is at 4inches. not too bad for a weekend :icon_thumby:

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I miss my explorer uggggg.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
i made new shackles 3 years ago for it an apparently you cant buy left spring mounts from ford any more. so i had some chunks of 2x6 1/4 wall box tubing that i used an cut out some mounts..

This is the hanger for the front of the leaf spring right? And you said Ford no longer makes them? :annoyed: I ask because I need a new one for my Ex.

It's looking good. :icon_thumby:

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
yup i went to ford an they said they dont make them any more.. so i had to build some.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice work man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
once again we do something because we get bored and have parts around :icon_thumby::icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

and yet again we have fun. it looks great. we need to look for the next project to start soon and i hope it is going to be my truck:D:icon_idea:

Last edited:

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
im likein it

pyro4fun

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
small
Transmission
Manual
I really like the 2 door exploer's, looks good :icon_thumby:

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i dont like you! lol i love those 2dr sports,even thought about trading my lifted 91 ranger for one. love the ex! keep us updated!

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i dont like you! lol i love those 2dr sports,even thought about trading my lifted 91 ranger for one. love the ex! keep us updated!

i just built up my splash last month.. swapped in a 80k 4 liter.. made it look all pretty and what not.. ive thought about selling it an buying an explorer now haha.. but the truck really doesnt owe me anything kidna be a shame to sell it after doing all that work to it.

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i just built up my splash last month.. swapped in a 80k 4 liter.. made it look all pretty and what not.. ive thought about selling it an buying an explorer now haha.. but the truck really doesnt owe me anything kidna be a shame to sell it after doing all that work to it.
lol,i know that feeling too! my 03 just sits,and i always drive my 91. id like to have the room but just cant bring myself to sell it!

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Your an addict man.... The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Dont worry, we are here to support your habit. :thefinger:

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
Your an addict man.... The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Dont worry, we are here to support your habit. :thefinger:

hahaha! well guess i should feel lucky.. is it a bad thing if i just picked up another b2? lol so now that makes 3 rangers an explorer and 3 b2s in the yard...

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nice, looks good dude

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals