• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken 2.5L

jgertsch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L
Transmission
Manual
The #2 piston in my 2000 2.5L broke a few months ago, with only around 170,000 miles on it. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but the piston hit the head and munched both plugs pretty bad. The piston is cracked all the way across. A re-manufactured long block is a bit out my price at the moment. I was considering getting an engine out of a recycling yard for $700 that comes with whatever hasn't been picked off of it, but that just seems like it could end up like a bad deal. Maybe I'll pull it apart and see if it's worth rebuilding, if that's even possible.

Anyone have any suggestions?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you should check craigslist. there was a 2.5with 70k for sale around me for $250

steve63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
seen a few rangers in craigs list that were parting out,at least you could probably hear them run before you plucked the motor out of them.

jgertsch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I already tried that. No luck. There were no 2.5L around here. I might try selling it, but I'm not sure if I could get nearly as much cash as I'd like to.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
or you could 4.0l it and have more hp :)

Robert

jgertsch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L
Transmission
Manual
or you could 4.0l it and have more hp :)

Robert
Yeah, I thought of that. A 4.0 long block in only a few hundred more than the 2.5, but I'm not sure what the entire engine would go for. I'd also need the computer. If I was going that far, I'd probably have to beef up the axles, etc. By the time everything is said and done I could probably just buy a 4x4 ranger with a 4.0 in it for less. Not to mention the time involved. I already have too many projects and not enough time or $$$.

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
do you still have 2.5L -I need crank and rods

jgertsch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5 L
Transmission
Manual
do you still have 2.5L -I need crank and rods
Yes. At this point, I'd just like to get rid of it. It was a great truck, but I simply don't have the time (or money) to put into it to get it fixed.

It has a K&N intake, Mangaflow 2.5" muffler w/ custom catback, spray in bed liner, Leer shell, 3" Auto Meter tach, & a JVC CD deck. I think the speakers are Infinity 5 X 8s. I was planning on taking the deck out, though. It's also wired for driving lights. I had some Hella 550's on it that I removed & was going to swap with some Jeep Wrangler fog lights. Other than the engine, the following things are wrong with it: Cracked windshield, the stitching in the driver's side seat is giving out, the top LED brake light on the camper shell doesn't work, and one of the hydraulic cylinders on the camper shell door has crapped out.

If anyone's interested, give me an offer. I prefer to not sell it off in parts, though. Again, I'm to the point where I just need it gone. It passed smog & is registered through 2010.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals