• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

throttle stop screw

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
My throttle stop screw has been moved and i want to put it back to factory specs. does anybody know how this is done, or if there is some other way to get it close? Any help or suggestions would be great, Thanks Dave.:icon_confused:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The throttle body plate stop screw is used to keep the throttle plate from closing too much and sticking. As long as it is not sticking, you should be OK. If you feel it is adjusted too far in, turn it out until the throttle plate begins to stick then screw it back in a little. That is probably not factory spec but it should work.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You will have to reset the TPS sensor if it has been moved. That screw sets what voltage the TPS has to tell the computer where the throttle blade is. Read the Tech section here at TRS.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I have found that setting the sensor to a specific voltage doesn't work too well. The way that I have always set the TPS baseline is this. Run the truck up to operating temp, shut it down. Unplug the connector at the idle air control. Restart the truck and run it at 2500 RPM for 30 seconds, let off and observe the idle speed, it should be around 750 RPM. Adjust the screw until you achieve this, give the throttle a quick snap after adjustment to seat the throttle arm against the screw properly. Once you have set the throttle to 750 rpm, shut the engine off. Restart the engine and run it at 2500 RPM for 30 seconds again, Verify that the idle is still at 750RPM. Shut the truck down again and reconnect the IAC, disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes, reconnect the battery and you should be set.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Awesome, thank you all for the replies. I will try fixing it tomorrow morning. thank you all again. :headbang:

jhammel85

I have found that setting the sensor to a specific voltage doesn't work too well. The way that I have always set the TPS baseline is this. Run the truck up to operating temp, shut it down. Unplug the connector at the idle air control. Restart the truck and run it at 2500 RPM for 30 seconds, let off and observe the idle speed, it should be around 750 RPM. Adjust the screw until you achieve this, give the throttle a quick snap after adjustment to seat the throttle arm against the screw properly. Once you have set the throttle to 750 rpm, shut the engine off. Restart the engine and run it at 2500 RPM for 30 seconds again, Verify that the idle is still at 750RPM. Shut the truck down again and reconnect the IAC, disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes, reconnect the battery and you should be set.
+1 to this. This is exactly how I set mine. However, I set it to 850 RPM (I'm an automatic)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The idle adjust procedure is similar to the TPS adjustment.

Get it to temp, unplug the IAC and the PCV. Plug off the PCV hose and run it at 2000 RPM for 2 minutes. Let it idle down and then adjust the screw until you get to 750 for manual, 850 for auto, shut it down, reconnect the IAC and PCV, and then unhook the battery for 15 minutes.

Then do the TPS adjust as posted above.

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
:icon_thumby: thank you guys, Dave.

JS116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You will have to reset the TPS sensor if it has been moved. That screw sets what voltage the TPS has to tell the computer where the throttle blade is. Read the Tech section here at TRS.
I bought a tps sensor for my ford ranger. The bolt holes on this sensor and the one that is on my 1993 ford ranger 4.0 is not slotted either. Everywhere I am reading in everyone is saying the tps sensor has slotted holes. I can’t even find one with slotted holes. Should I drill it out or just install it?

JS116

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I bought a tps sensor for my ford ranger. The bolt holes on this sensor and the one that is on my 1993 ford ranger 4.0 is not slotted either. Everywhere I am reading in everyone is saying the tps sensor has slotted holes. I can’t even find one with slotted holes. Should I drill it out or just install it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I bought a tps sensor for my ford ranger. The bolt holes on this sensor and the one that is on my 1993 ford ranger 4.0 is not slotted either. Everywhere I am reading in everyone is saying the tps sensor has slotted holes. I can’t even find one with slotted holes. Should I drill it out or just install it
Try it as is and see if its holding the throttle plate open too far
If so you may need to slot the holes a bit so throttle plate can close normally

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals