• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Prerunner 4x2 vs 4x4 (not sure if this is the right forum to post this in)

MichaelC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thinking about building a ranger prerunner. I've heard it recommended to buy a 2-wheel drive vehicle if you're building a prerunner truck. A friend told me not to get a 4-wheel drive ranger because prerunning would put too much stress on the transfer case. But I've also heard of people having real issues with 2-wheel drive prerunners when getting into sand etc. Any advice?

(Important note: I'm not planning to enter any races, this is just for fun.)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't see any issue with this putting stress on things...

4x4 prerunners typically are driven in 2WD until you get to those places where you really do need 4WD (in which case it's probably too rugged to be doing 50 MPH through it anyhow).

One thing a 4x4 system does affect though is weight. A 4x4 truck will have much more unsprung frontend weight (and a bit more sprung weight too), which may be an issue for some professional drivers, but probably wouldn't be as much an issue on a recreational rig.
In fact, 2WD IMO would be far more limiting on a rec rig because you'd then be limiting yourself to mostly good roads, or terrain where you can use some momentum to get up & over something... This won't be possible on a very long steep hill climb or if any large boulders are in the way (BTDT).

Welcome to TRS :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals