• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tensioner Pulley

Riptide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What size start tool or hex key do you need for this thing? We can't get it to budge either direction but we don't have the right sized key to fit in there. So we're limited on how much torque we can apply.

The Chilton's doesn't really say.

PSJRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think it's a 15mm wrench.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What year truck? They are not all the same.:)shady

Riptide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's a '94 3.0 V6.

The diagram under the hood shows what looks like a socket wrench turning the thing. But if you look at it the hole is pretty small. I doubt anything but 1/4" wrench would fit in there and you would ofcourse not have a socket on it at the time. Just the square part on the end would go into the hole on the tensioner.

To be fair I haven't tried that yet and I might just for shits and giggles. But I doubt we'd be able to get enough torque on my little 1/4" wrench without having to rig something. The thing seems like it might be rusted in there a bit and that's probably why we can't get it to turn without a struggle.

The reason I asked about a hex or star key is that if you look at the hole the wrench supposedly fits into it isn't just a straight square. It looks like it would take a star or a hex key. Maybe they want you to buy the type that fits on the end of a socket wrench?

Last edited:

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Most of the tensioners use a 3/8 drive to release the tension. Dirt gets in the hole and makes it look smaller. Make sure you are looking at the tensioner pulley, and not an idler. The tensioner will be on a arm with a wound spring on the other end.:)shady

Riptide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I tried a 1/4" socket wrench and it wouldn't fit into this hole. So now do you kinda see what I mean? What am I supposed to use to get this thing to turn..? I have a set of hex keys but none of them quite fit.

86bigred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if your just replacing the belt,put a socket on the bolt on the pulley,turn clockwise and slip the belt off.that torx is what holds the tensioner spring assembly together.i don't think that is supposed to come apart.when i have had to remove a tensioner i replace it as i whole unit.B.P.

Riptide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We just loosened up the alternator and tipped it forward and out. Then the belt came off. We put the new belt on and then put the alternator back on there with the belt in place. Unfortunately it isn't tight enough. So we need to use the tensioner to take up the slack.

Am I not understanding you then? How are you supposed to actually use this tensioner to take up slack? The diagram on the front of her truck shows a wrench turning that crazy looking socket I have circled in the picture.

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if your just replacing the belt,put a socket on the bolt on the pulley,turn clockwise and slip the belt off.that torx is what holds the tensioner spring assembly together.i don't think that is supposed to come apart.when i have had to remove a tensioner i replace it as i whole unit.B.P.
In that first picture it looks to me like he has the belt off. Or maybe he is trying to put a new one on after the old one snapped.. As far as the my thoughts on getting that thing to turn i would just buy the torx bit socket thingy. I have a feeling that thing is on tight though.

Edit
well looks like riptide posted while I was typing lol the tensioner should take up the slack all by itself..
I would tighten down the alternator good then try putting the belt on by loosing the tensioner by putting a rachet on the pulley.

Last edited:

Riptide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
EDIT:

I'm retarded. I apologize for the misunderstanding here. I think the diagrams in the chilton's might have confused me and my friend.

We don't need to touch that star shaped socket. I needed to put a 15mm socket on the bolt attached to the pulley below it. Just like the diagram on her truck shows, not what's in the chilton's.

Woops.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals