• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bronco ii jeep dana 30 axle swap

brando-commando

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
ok so i did the jeep dana 30 axle swap on my bronco ii the onlt problem im having is how to build new radius arms. does and one have any ideas?

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I've no direct experince with this particular swap
almost nobody has experience with it. because nobody usually opts to do all the fab work to stuff a 30 in where 35 would have been a direct bolt-in

but i suggest the early bronco radius arms as a starting point (particularly the way they attatch to the axle)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
and this is quoting Maverick on his build, i asked him about what he used....

"for the suspension :

ballistic fabrication link bracket's welded to 3x3x1/4 angle iron
rusty's high clerance long arm's
bronco graveyard f-150 6'' superflex spring's (cut to correct ride height)
ruff stuff trac bar frame bracket

steering and trac bar
1-1/4 OD dom drilled to 11/16 ID and tapped 3/4x16 right and left hand thread's
assorted rod end's (cant remember exact size's i used 2 different size's) but all were obviously 3/4x16 threaded
drilled knuckle's and pitman arm to 9/16's i belive gonna have to check build page to be sure.

for the crossmember i made 1 initially but the mount at the tran's failed. so i remade it and now serves as a crossmember skid combo completely cover's transfercase"

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Seems to be a whole lot of time spent for little-to-no benefits... A D35 is easy to install, and stronger than the d30.

If you really want a SAS, I would say find a d44.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
yeah he's not the first in the world to do it, but the number of jeep d30 swaps into rbv's is eclipsed 10-fold by the number of d35 swaps. that was all i was trying to say. i didn't literally mean nobody

and as far as solid axles swaps go:
according to this poll http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5894
15% of members on therangerstation who did an sas used a d30, that means 85% of rbv owners who actually did an sas chose not to use a d30 so add that to the number of guys who did a ttb d35 (which is a boat-load) and i'd bet that the percentage of front-axle swaps on rbv's using a d30 falls to less than 5%

and that constitutes saying "nobody does it"
and with 63% choosing a d44 it is also safe to say that most people choose a d44

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i know what you meant, but i figured since i have looked into and still thinking about it, i figured i'd share what i have found.

and it is just as strong as a d35 and yet a solid axle. i figured out that i can sas my truck for about the same price as a d35... and have solid axle. i'm tired of ttb issues. i've grenaded several d35's on trails in a b2 of a friend of mine. i ride with MSJ (midsouth jeeps), and i see what they put the d30 sfa thru.. my money is on the d30.

i don't care what you can give me about the thickness and size of the ring gear, or joints, or whatever... i'm speaking from what i have saw on the trails, not what science tells me... or what sizes of the gear tells me...

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i don't care what you can give me about the thickness and size of the ring gear, or joints, or whatever... i'm speaking from what i have saw on the trails, not what science tells me... or what sizes of the gear tells me...
D35 is stronger. Period.
If d35s are breaking where d30s are not, my guess would be there is some other variable in there... Such as tire size, gearing, and engine power going to the wheels.

But hey, if you dont wanna listen to science, you can continue to live under a rock. Your call.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
i'm speaking from what i have saw on the trails, not what science tells me... or what sizes of the gear tells me...
really? i wish i could say i've seen a d30 on the trails......but nobody has one :icon_rofl:

even my jeep buddies swap out their 30s.

look if you want to think that you know better than 95% of your peers, i say go for it. it is your truck after all. just like i don't care when all of the ford guys here give me hell for using gm drivetrain.

but take into consideration the possibility that maybe those who aren't breaking parts are better drivers than those who are. wheeling is 95% skill and 5% vehicle ability. and their choice of lines coupled with their application of steering. brake, and throttle will make all the difference in whether or not a part will break

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
D35 is stronger. Period.
If d35s are breaking where d30s are not, my guess would be there is some other variable in there... Such as tire size, gearing, and engine power going to the wheels.

But hey, if you dont wanna listen to science, you can continue to live under a rock. Your call.
lol... you are my friend now.. lol
but yeah other things can be considered.. but the d30 will hold the weight of a b2 and power of a 4.0 geared. to many have done it.

a b2, d35, 8.8, w/ 4.56's, 33's, 2.9, a4ld, bw1350m- broke a d35 shaft, i was driving, crawling.. not hammer down.

cherokee, d30, 8.8, w/ 4.56's, 33's, 4.0, whatever their auto is, manual t/c (stock), crawling.. no problem..

weight is dang near the same. the d30 is a stronger axle than most on here give credit for. it'll handle what a d35 does.

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
really? i wish i could say i've seen a d30 on the trails......but nobody has one :icon_rofl:

even my jeep buddies swap out their 30s.

look if you want to think that you know better than 95% of your peers, i say go for it. it is your truck after all. just like i don't care when all of the ford guys here give me hell for using gm drivetrain.
yeah jeep guys swap them out when going to 37's or larger.. i'm part of midsouthjeeps, i see what they do, hell your jeep guys may be different...

i'm not saying the d35 is not capable of offroading, hell a lot of yall have done it! i have to..

i've seen both break, both will break! but in my application a d30 will hold up. and i won't have ttb crap.. a sas is easier in my opinion than trying to get ttb set up properly. yeah i've read everything on here about setting up a ttb i've found.. but with my fab skills, i can do the d30 swap and be done. using jeep coils, and probably custom made arms (or rusty's long arms (pricey)).

i've ran ttb on rocks, and i don't like it.. it's not my cup of tea. i want sas'ed

i don't think i know better than anyone on here. i just know what i have personally witnessed d30's do. i've only witnessed about 3 d35's on rocks (personally)..

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah jeep guys swap them out when going to 37's or larger.. i'm part of midsouthjeeps, i see what they do, hell your jeep guys may be different...

i'm not saying the d35 is not capable of offroading, hell a lot of yall have done it! i have to..

i've seen both break, both will break! but in my application a d30 will hold up. and i won't have ttb crap.. a sas is easier in my opinion than trying to get ttb set up properly. yeah i've read everything on here about setting up a ttb i've found.. but with my fab skills, i can do the d30 swap and be done. using jeep coils, and probably custom made arms (or rusty's long arms (pricey)).

i've ran ttb on rocks, and i don't like it.. it's not my cup of tea. i want sas'ed
If you are going to spend the time and effort to do a SAS, might as well get a d44 and make it a real upgrade...?

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
oh now i see....midsouthjeeps that changes everything
it only changes that i have been around jeeps and saw them run and beat on... and hold up to 35's and 4.88's

if i go bigger than 35's i want at least a d44 anyways, not d30 or d35
my b2 is gonna be a dd/ww build that will run rocks, but not the level 5 stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals