• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hard start/rough idle

buckinbroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 1988 Bronco II EB edition 2.9 V6 was running great, coming home in the rain I hit a puddle big enough to almost hydroplane, right after the truck started running like it was on 3 or 4 cylinders. I did the usual for older cars thinking it was the distributor got wet, cleaned distributor cap but same results. Hard to start, won`t idle and fuel fouls the plugs. So I changed the plugs, changed the ignition control module and no change.....raw fuel comes out the exhaust when I try to run it....any ideas?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

OK lets look at fuel first

On the upper engine passenger side front is the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), it will have the Fuel Return line attached to it, and a Vacuum Line
Remove vacuum line and check it for gasoline, if FPR leaks raw fuel will get sucked into the engine.

The fuel injectors all get 12volts when key is on, the computer Grounds the injectors to open them and add fuel.
There will be 1 Red wire on each injector, it is daisy chained from one injector to the next, thats the 12volt wire.
On an '88 the computer will use Batch fire injection, on a V6 that mean there will only be two ground wires back to the computer, so computer opens 3 injectors at the same time, then opens the other 3 the next time.
Should be a Light green wire and a Tan wire as the two ground wires, each going to 3 injectors.
IF......big if, one of these ground wires was shorted to ground by the water spray then those 3 injectors would open with Key ON
You could use a volt meter connected to Battery + and then test both Ground wires with key off, shouldn't be Grounded, so 0 volts

On the fire wall toward center on passenger side is the MAP sensor, this is the main air/fuel mix sensor used by the computer
It will have a 3 wire connector and a vacuum line
Make sure connector is clean and dry inside and test vacuum line, make sure it holds vacuum, no cracks and is hooked to intake manifold

buckinbroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
RonD,
thanks for the new direction, I`m a carb guy so the fuel injection is a nightmare for me. My thoughts were centered on old school water in the distributor stuff so now I have a great way to deal with troubleshooting this from the fuel injection deal. Thank you again, I`ll update my progress once I get time to get under the hood.

buckinbroncII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
RonD, I finally got a chance to get under the hood and there was some crud in the distributor cap but the fuel pressure regulator was the bigger culprit....THANK YOU for giving a lost guy some direction. I pulled the vacuum line to the regulator and surprise I had gas...Thanks again, I couldn't have taken what the garage was going to do to me to fix it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for posting the FIX, should help others down the road

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Check your air filter too, if you hit a puddle large enough to get water into the distributor you may have some water in your air filter & air box.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals