• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1st Gen tailgate repair.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you didn't build it; it's not really yours
Hey Gang, I need to repair the tailgate latch on my 85 Ranger. Not sure what size/type of bolt goes in here but I know the head is a Torx. Do I have to remove the entire latch assembly or... It doesn't appear there is anything for the bolt to screw into. Thanks

Attachments

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Thanks RonD. I am going to order the bolts and the tailgate latch.
I am assuming I can access everything thru the rear tailgate handle?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You take off the access panel on inside of the tailgate

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There is no access panel on the tailgate inside or outside.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Theres's some nuts tack-welded inside the tailgate for the bolts to screw into (when new).

Over time and disassembly a few years later after rusting, the nuts tear loose and full down inside. No way to repair that I know of (threaded insert maybe if it's just one nut?)

Only I ever found to work was go looking for another tailgate...

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
One extremely large pop rivet or use a nut-sert: https://www.google.com/search?q=nutsert&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB3avGibLdAhXK6oMKHX-sA0sQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=669

Another solution might be to drill two or three small holes on each side of the bolt hole for later plug welding. Then remove all of the hardware, insert a very long threaded rod into the gate. Once you can reach the end of the rod via the center handle opening, put your new nut on it. Pull it back through until the nut bottoms out. Then weld that nut using the two or three small holes you drilled earlier. Grind welds nearly flush and paint.

GB :)

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
One extremely large pop rivet or use a nut-sert: https://www.google.com/search?q=nutsert&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiB3avGibLdAhXK6oMKHX-sA0sQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=669

Another solution might be to drill two or three small holes on each side of the bolt hole for later plug welding. Then remove all of the hardware, insert a very long threaded rod into the gate. Once you can reach the end of the rod via the center handle opening, put your new nut on it. Pull it back through until the nut bottoms out. Then weld that nut using the two or three small holes you drilled earlier. Grind welds nearly flush and paint.

Thanks GB. I think I'll try a rivet nut first and if that doesn't work out I'll do as you suggest with the plug welds.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Those are all solutions that I'd try myself, so hopefully you have good luck with them. You might have to find a shop to install a nut-sert for you as the install tool and/or kit may be cost prohibitive.

Thanks GB. I think I'll try a rivet nut first and if that doesn't work out I'll do as you suggest with the plug welds.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Theres's some nuts tack-welded inside the tailgate for the bolts to screw into (when new).

Over time and disassembly a few years later after rusting, the nuts tear loose and full down inside. No way to repair that I know of (threaded insert maybe if it's just one nut?)

Only I ever found to work was go looking for another tailgate...
Mine tore away the metal the nut fastens to, not much left to work with aside from weld in new metal and start over or a different tailgate.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Those are all solutions that I'd try myself, so hopefully you have good luck with them. You might have to find a shop to install a nut-sert for you as the install tool and/or kit may be cost prohibitive.

I've installed these with just a bolt and a couple of nuts. I'm going to see if I can get them with the correct thread size. I know I can get them in 10mm w/1.5 pitch.
I'll post the results.

DandysRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 FI
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well... fixed it sort of.
I found the old bolt and nut that had broken off inside. The other nut on the same side was also broken out of its spot.
I tried to do this by just taking out the left side latch but without taking the entire assembly out I decided to cut an access hole. That did it.

Working fine now. In hindsight I suppose I could have taken out all the bolts on both sides and the handle, fixed the nuts and then fished the latches and handles back to where they go... but this worked. Now I just need to weld up the hole.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals