• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Baffled ????????

RT PERFORMANCE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger & a
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 306. ci
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i dont say be carefull . why would i tell someone not to have fun?
So the other night late after I left my shop the local sheriff decided to harass me. They like to violate your freedoms around here but that is another topic much larger than most. But back on track his reason to stop me was as he rifled through the large gap between his ears was my 3rd brake light wasnt working. Long story short he was surely convinced my cargo light on the back of my cab on my 1990 Ford Ranger xlt was a non working 3rd brake light. He made it a point to let me know he was in charge and that all vehicles after 1984 had them. I did correct him to say it was after 85 and that there was only 3 pubic hairs on that manly mustache he was sporting not 5 like he claimed. Now I have had this DR1 for 3 years. never had a tailgate, and the cargo light doesnt come on when i pull the rope off the pully for the brakes. Ive looked at pics and have not been able to locate one on a 1990 Ranger. I also told the youngster that as far as i knew it never had one. but I also knew that he was right in that cars had them mandated in 86 so were truck exempt? im baffled. he will pull me again maybe even tonight if im lucky we will get to play games again while he tries to get into my head truck and wallet but only to in the end be pissed off again. but I need to have my ducks in a row if im to play with Mr. badge and belt buckle. any one "know the truth"? Thanx you guys !!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Passenger vehicles, so cars, and vans that seated more than two, and had rear and quarter glass, rather than the patched over panels you got on a cargo version, were required to have a 3rd brake light starting for the 1986 model year.

Pickup trucks, SUVs, and and cargo van were not required to have them until either 95 or 96, either way, your 1990 does not have, and does not need, one.

Also, remind the good sheriff that all "as factory equipped" configurations are legal, and local law cannot supersede that as it is an issue of interstate commerce (producing vehicles intended for sale and operation in all 50 states), which falls under the purview of the federal government, not his local office.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah.....pa and ga.....two states you do not want to drive my ranger....and that i have to regularly drive my ranger through...

for sure a 90 has no 3rd light.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
yeah.....pa and ga.....two states you do not want to drive my ranger....and that i have to regularly drive my ranger through...

for sure a 90 has no 3rd light.
It has always baffled me how interested Georgia's local law enforcement is in things on peoples' cars given that state's apparent lack of laws about things wrong with peoples' cars.

Last time I was there was in August 2010, and in rush hour on the Atlanta beltway, stop and go traffic, I saw three brake lights that worked.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
If you don't want to get pulled in GA, have GA plates. I live in FL and have to traverse GA quite often to get to more interesting places like NC. I made the mistake of getting pulled by a Local Cobb County Sheriff and let me tell you it did not go well. He starts giving me a lecture of how Georgia was his state and he don't like seeing trash in his state and he was going to do everything he could to keep trash out of his state. I explained that I was traveling through his fine pieces of real estate to get to a more desirable location and if he let me go, I would drive AROUND his state on my way back. Well he asked(told) me to get out of the car. fast forward to the next morning as I was bonding out of jail and go to the lady to get my " possessions" back. My wallet was empty, and had clearly been rifled through because my ID was in the wrong place and all my other cards were in the money slot .SMH. I will gladly spend extra $$$ on gas to drive around that forsaken place. Pretty sure he pulled me for out of state tags and charged me for reckless driving - said I swerved- I did, when his lights came on and he shined his spot-lite in my side mirror.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you don't want to get pulled in GA, have GA plates. I live in FL and have to traverse GA quite often to get to more interesting places like NC. I made the mistake of getting pulled by a Local Cobb County Sheriff and let me tell you it did not go well. He starts giving me a lecture of how Georgia was his state and he don't like seeing trash in his state and he was going to do everything he could to keep trash out of his state. I explained that I was traveling through his fine pieces of real estate to get to a more desirable location and if he let me go, I would drive AROUND his state on my way back. Well he asked(told) me to get out of the car. fast forward to the next morning as I was bonding out of jail and go to the lady to get my " possessions" back. My wallet was empty, and had clearly been rifled through because my ID was in the wrong place and all my other cards were in the money slot .SMH. I will gladly spend extra $$$ on gas to drive around that forsaken place. Pretty sure he pulled me for out of state tags and charged me for reckless driving - said I swerved- I did, when his lights came on and he shined his spot-lite in my side mirror.
PA residents are starting to have these kinds of issues in Maryland and NJ. PennDOT did away with registration stickers at the beginning of 2017. PSP issued a notice to their counterparts in neighboring states telling them that we no longer issue the little stickers for the plates, and that they shouldn't be pulling over PA residents for expired registrations based only on the date on the plate sticker. I have still heard of quite a few people with PA plates getting pulled over and ticketed for exactly that. When they questioned it, citing the fact that PennDOT doesn't issue those stickers anymore they were told that Maryland doesn't care what Pennsylvania's laws are, or what PSP says. That if you are going to be in Maryland you need to have current registration stickers or you will get pulled over.

After hearing that I went and got all the stickers off my plates.

RT PERFORMANCE

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989 Ranger & a
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/ 306. ci
Transmission
Manual
My credo
i dont say be carefull . why would i tell someone not to have fun?
Gentlemen I thank you very much for the info. I did actually make an effort to find some written definition that was clear about what was and was not required to meet the law. I didnt come up with any thing that covered or mentioned trucks. Anyway, yes Cobb Co. Bartow, and Cherokee are by far so crooked they have to sit to piss. So at any cost avoid them if you are not one for confrontation. I personally dont play that shit and will not tolerate having my liberties trampled and or abused. I dont do anything wrong to give them reason. So when im pulled over i put them on the defense. about a year ago i saw something that just seemed wrong. I left the area and said to myself if I see a cop i will let them know. no sooner did i think that and i flashed my lights at one going the opposite way. He didnt stop so i turned around then we passed again in different directions so I waited. he wouldnt pull up beside me as i was flagging him to do. instead he puled in behind me. I got out to tell him what was up and he said get back in your car. well im familiar with that game and said ok but im leaving now. he said no you are not. i said watch and drove off. 2 hrs later and 10 cops and the watch commander. i was free to go and never gave that asshole my drivers license. To me it was about right and wrong and i wasnt budging. the commander apologized for taking my time and told me i was free to go. the best thing about it was i filed a complaint used the commander as a witness and pointed out that not only was i detained without cause but they never one time bothered to ask why i needed a cop. of course nothing was done to the pos that insisted i provide id for being caught in a full blown fabricated lie, and never did ask me why i was asking for his assistance but it made a ripple in the daily bs they instill on us. probably just taught the crooked bastards to be more careful when they violate our freedoms and liberties. Ok nuff thank you again guys i have a tad more correct ammo to school with them with.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Georgia has a "NoTolerence" law and I have No tolerance for GA cops. lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

My '85 has nothing.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

My '85 has nothing.
IIRC even the cargo light was optional equipment until 86, when it became standard on the super cabs, and remained an option on the regular cabs.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
IIRC most cops wouldn't know a 3rd break light from my 3rd leg:icon_rofl:

Sorry if there are any cops in here. I appreciate the good cops.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals