• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

want to get my ranger to 200hp... any suggestions?

drnopants

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there,

I'm looking to increase the HP of my 08 ranger to around 200HP... wondering if anyone has any suggestions or previous experience in this area. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. N

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
forced induction to start.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
funny yet true answers to this question:

1. forced induction
2. INSANE ALL-MOTOR BUILD!!1
3. 4.0 swap

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The biggest cone filter you can find, a fart-can muffler, and a tornado intake insert should put you right at 200. 17in. rims and a body kit will give you even more.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you arent getting 200HP out of a 3.0 n/a.

forced induction or NAWZZZ.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
blow it. and or start with a better platform.

thomas knight makes turobcharger for it.

Hypnotic Toast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Automatic

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Well, there's two different horsepowers. You have dyno horsepower, which is an accurate means of comparing two engines. Then the second, which is estimated horsepower. The 3.0L struggles to put 130 rwhp on a dyno (which is okay, a stock 5.0L HO dyno's at 178-182). But, if you take the factory rated 150 and add the "claimed" 6hp from a throttle body, and 10hp from a cold air intake, and 8hp from headers, maybe another 5hp from e-fan/underdrive pulley, 8hp from roller rockers, plus ignition upgrade and tune... then it SOUNDS like you're in the 200hp range. Then the dyno puts out an extremely dissapointing number like 155hp. So, your only real option is going to be a SOHC 4.0L swap or forced induction.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
something to think about e fans and part of under drive pullies. they dont "make" HP it just frees parasitic loss. that motor only makes 150 hp now some of the powers goes to other this besides turning rubber. so if you have 150 hp and u put on an efan or such. you still have 150 horses just a biger percent of that 150 goes to turning wheels.

the only way that you can truly make more HP and stiil be called bolt on is to improve the functions of the motor's systems. and try and get them closer to %100 effective. ie better intake better exhaust. but youll be paying alot for it and working hard to get it. cause lets face it if the intake was so poorly designed were you could increase its effectiveness by %30 do you think ford would put it on a truck.

drnopants

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
something to think about e fans and part of under drive pullies. they dont "make" HP it just frees parasitic loss. that motor only makes 150 hp now some of the powers goes to other this besides turning rubber. so if you have 150 hp and u put on an efan or such. you still have 150 horses just a bigger percent of that 150 goes to turning wheels.

the only way that you can truly make more HP and stiil be called bolt on is to improve the functions of the motor's systems. and try and get them closer to %100 effective. ie better intake better exhaust. but youll be paying alot for it and working hard to get it. cause lets face it if the intake was so poorly designed were you could increase its effectiveness by %30 do you think ford would put it on a truck.
How true... I guess I did not properly format my question, but you still hit the nail on the head with your reply. I appreciate all the responses I've received, even the funny ones :)

Dr. N

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
thanks wicked for your input.........:icon_rofl:

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
forced induction is the only way to go. if you had a 200+ hp NA 3.0 it would idle very rough and make driving it daily a biotch

HOT_ROD_CAR

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
351 Cleveland
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there,

I'm looking to increase the HP of my 08 ranger to around 200HP... wondering if anyone has any suggestions or previous experience in this area. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. N

- Drop in a 5.0 (H.O) with headers, 4 v carb, aluminum intake, MSD system, and you're there.

- If money is not a problem, you could upgrade the cam, AFR heads, Keith Black domed pistons, or just get a stroker kit, high capacity oil pump, etc.
:3gears:

2004ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well you probably won't get close to 200 to the wheels but im gonna do a setup that i hope will be decent and hopefully beat most of the N/A non cammed 3.0L . right now im running the rogue performance tune, with under drive pulleys, Rouge Maf adapter and intake combo kit, Screaming demon Coil pack. What im wanting to do is build a custom upper intake manifold to lower the tq range to theoretically 2.5k. Then im gonna do a port that give me more hp but not really loose tq so much hopefully. do a port matched upper and lower intake manifold. If i ever get to do the head build im gonna run 1.8:1 roller rockers with heavy spring and the upgraded retainers, over sized valves and hopefully try to get a 10.1:1-10.5:1 compression ratio. most people who have done all the bolt on mods with the tune get about 164whp i think im shooting for 170 or maybe a bit higher not sure how it will work out as im in college but just something i want to toy with when i have the time. Anyone have an idea how much ill be putting down?

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
170 WHP is almost exactly 200 crank HP. i call BS on the 164 number with bolt on mods until i see a dyno sheet. a stock 3.0 is lucky to hit 125 at the wheels.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals