• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Brake Drums, all new parts, still rusting?

Talus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I replaced literally the entire rear brake system, minus the lines. Wheel cylinders, springs, pins, drums, shoes, and self adjusting assembly. I had to have both drums machined because of the new shoes being so thick, the drums wouldnt slide over them.

The one side is functioning fine, but I noticed when replacing the old shocks in the rear, that the rear passenger side is rusting on the inside of the drum, as well as the shoes, demonstrating a malfunction of sorts.

I checked the line to make sure it was snug at the wheel cylinder, I made sure the 'hooks' on the shoes were pushing into the pistons. I checked the line for leaks and found none.

Any thoughts?

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Could be too much old crap in the lines. The steel lines on my old axle were so stopped up with crap that I couldn't bleed the rear brakes. I guess the previous owner didn't know you are supposed to change brake fluid every so often (it absorbs moisture, which we all know helps rust stuff).

Talus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hmm.. could be, any other thoughts?

Talus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Actually, youre probably right. When I pulled off the ends from the old wheel cylinders, the driver side threw a bunch of goop at me, and the passenger side didnt. I quickly dismissed it by thinking I had leaked all the fluid from the resivior on the driver side when nothing came out on the passenger side. I had to leave the line disconnected for a minute, as I had to go to a couple parts stores to get new cylinders.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals