• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

K&N Air charger Cold Air Intake Kit - Worth the cost?

Bip35

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm thinking about replacing my stock intake with this. 04' 2WD 3.0 ext. Cab. Would this give me better gas mileage? Is is worth the cost? What does this "charger" mean? The dude said it has just been charged and wants $200.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nope!

I'm thinking about replacing my stock intake with this. 04' 2WD 3.0 ext. Cab. Would this give me better gas mileage? Is is worth the cost? What does this "charger" mean? The dude said it has just been charged and wants $200.
Not worth the time it took to ask! All it will do for you is to make more NOISE from the intake... and put oil from the filter into the intake parts which will make your ride run terrible till you take it apart and clean it.. then you will realize you have took OUT the real cold air intake and replaced it with a K&N HOT air intake... which will give less horses and worse milage..
Your ride came with what it NEEDS... leave it alone.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it used? I definitley wouldn't pay that much for a used one. You can get the same thing from an MAC intake kit for around $160 new.
My mileage did go up slightly when I put mine on. I don't have any conclusive evidence of power gains, so I won't make any claims about that. While kits like this aren't true cold air intakes, it has been proven that the cone filters flow better than the flat panel filters and restrictive factory airbox.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep!

Is it used? I definitley wouldn't pay that much for a used one. You can get the same thing from an MAC intake kit for around $160 new.
My mileage did go up slightly when I put mine on. I don't have any conclusive evidence of power gains, so I won't make any claims about that. While kits like this aren't true cold air intakes, it has been proven that the cone filters flow better than the flat panel filters and restrictive factory airbox.
He is correct! They flow better beyond what your engine can injset! What came on your vehicle can do all that can be used by your engine.

As for better milage... More air MUST be mixed with more FUEL.. So how can we get more milage? Someone should educate me a bit on this..
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
My honest input on this is that it is not worth the money. I did it, but i wanted the noise and the cache, you know, the "cool" factor. I installed it today actually, driving around it didnt do much for power. Freed up the revving a bit tho. I'll have more input on it as i continue driving it. So far i think my exhaust did more.

I'll see how my MPGs do this week, i travel 30 miles out 30 miles back every day, so i'll notice if I've got an increase. The exhaust helped by about .5 MPG.

BTW i got a brand new one for 224.22, shipped free. Autoanything.com and their "we'll beat the cheapest price you find by 10 bucks"

Last edited:

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
is the mac carb approved?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is the mac carb approved?
Not sure. It retains all of the factory emissions stuff and sensors, so I would think it is, but you'd have to contact MAC to know for sure.

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
Not sure. It retains all of the factory emissions stuff and sensors, so I would think it is, but you'd have to contact MAC to know for sure.
how it the mac anyways? pretty baller?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how it the mac anyways? pretty baller?
I'd have to check my baller handbook to find out just how 'baller' it is, but I will say that I have no complaints, and would buy one again.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here's a couple good reads on K&N and filters in general. Its got some good information.
The first is a test about the air flow
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=70
there is very little pressure drop across any air filter, and the difference between the best (K&N) and worst (paper) is very small. Yes as total power output increases, air flow increases, and differential pressure would also increase. So a K&N probably does yield some power on higher output race motors where every last ounce of power must be squeezed out. On lower powered street cars, it is probably not much of an improvement over paper. Basically, an air filter is first and foremost a filter, and should be chosen for it's filtration ability.
This one is about the filtering ability and for me, its the reason I wont ever run a K&N
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=76

Last edited:

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
hey thanks for that info. thats good stuff. im pretty sure im gonna get a k&n or if mac gets back to me soon enough maybe a mac

troutangler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda civic
Transmission
Automatic
The air intake system is a device that allows air to flow into the engine thereby lowering the temperature of the internal combustion. Most cars are typically equipped with a standard air intake which reduces the engine noise, but reduces the efficiency of the engine in terms of horsepower and fuel intake. Cold air intakes, on the other hand, have been developed to gush in lower temperature air directly into the vehicle's internal-combustion engine, thereby increasing horsepower and efficiency of the engine.

aem brute force cold air intake

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Cold air intakes, on the other hand, have been developed to gush in lower temperature air directly into the vehicle's internal-combustion engine, thereby increasing horsepower and efficiency of the engine.

aem brute force cold air intake
Yep. And that is exactly why Ford puts one on every vehicle they manufacture.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals