• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

body and frame compatability (ranger to mazda)

gward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
huge 14's haha
Hi everyone, I've got a multi part project im going to be starting soon but i couldnt find the appropriate category to post it in.

I purchased a 1998 Mazda b4000 with a 4L v6 and auto 5 speed trans that is 2wd, a buddy rolled his 2009 ranger 4wd that also has a 4L engine and auto trans.
Being as im in Canada, we have lovely winters (hate winter) but i need 4wd.
Does anyone know if my 98 cab and box will bolt to the 09 frame?
The next part is wiring compatibility, the 09 ranger has a push button transfer case so im wondering how much different the trucks wiring harness is going to be... im hoping to be able to just wiring the transfer case to a dash switch or something in my 98 cab.

I know some of you are gonna say "just buy a 4wd truck then", well if i could afford one of the many overpriced trucks i would have already... i like doing things the hard way ha-ha!

The secondary project is going to be making the 2 trucks into a single 6x6... but thats for a later project.

98 mazda b4000.jpg

squished 09 ranger.JPG

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 98 body should bolt to the 09 frame with minimal issues.

Frankly, the easiest solution to all of your wiring problems, and there will be many if you want to use the later (more powerful) 4.0, or the push button 4x4, your best bet is to swap the dash and ALL the wiring from the 09.

It will add a few steps, but it is doable.

The simpler, but not necessarily easier, solution would be a manual transfer case.

gward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
huge 14's haha
the newer engine would be great but the rolled trucks engine is toast, fully locked up from when it rolled over so i would be using the 98's engine.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Is it actually mechanically locked? Of is there just oil in the cylinders? Pull the plugs and see if it turns then. The rollover switch should have killed the engine so it wouldn't continue running upside down. I think you have to manually reset it as well? Otherwise the engine won't run either.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The rollover switch should have killed the engine so it wouldn't continue running upside down.
In theory it should. In practice, my '98 was ticking over still with shiny side down. And didn't stop until I turned off the key. And the 3.0 was locked solid when it restored to rubber side down. :(

The secondary project is going to be making the 2 trucks into a single 6x6... but thats for a later project.
What part of Alberta? I currently have a Ranger project which is 6x2 and easing its way to 6x4, eventually to 6x6. There may be some advantage to learning from each others mistakes.

Pulling large amounts of the wiring from the '09 is advantageous, even if you don't wind up using the '09 engine.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
the newer engine would be great but the rolled trucks engine is toast, fully locked up from when it rolled over so i would be using the 98's engine.
Then the most feasible solution is to try and find a manual transfer case.

These are, unfortunately, somewhat integrated systems, which will make retrofitting the e-shift 4x4 into the 98's systems nearly impossible. It can be done, but it is one of those things, if you can do it you will just sit down with the books and do it. If you have to ask how you probably don't have the required skill level.

gward

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
huge 14's haha
Captain Ledd - plugs are out of the engine and its totally locked up, buddy says it kept running while he was upside down till it just quit.

don4331 - i'm in medicine hat, alberta only 3hrs from you. the 6x6 idea has been in my head for a while now. ive built everything from race cars to mud trucks but i usually stay away from fuel injected stuff haha.

adsm08 - i was thinking the same thing about the manual t case, i'm sure theres a junk yard around that has one.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if its a 1354....i would rob a system from a earlier truck....preferably obd1 from a u pull junkyard....where i shop for 10-20 bux. 15 bux for the motor. unless the motor looked fresh i may leave it.

just get all the wiring, switches and control module....

amazon a dorman brand new no core motor for 70 bux and run with it.

getting a low mile manual case will be hard to beat that price.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals