• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modern Technology

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Air conditioning is the best invention ever... but I can sweat in shorts and a tee shirt during a snow storm, and I'm not even too overweight.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Air conditioning is the best invention ever... but I can sweat in shorts and a tee shirt during a snow storm, and I'm not even too overweight.
i am in this group.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I am usually wearing long sleeves until the high 60s, don't start to get 'a little cold' until mid 70s, and I'm not comfortable until at least the mid 80s or so.

Also, I don't even own shorts.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I can easily do without AC in my vehicles. But my wife can't live without it.

I have invented a new scale for my thermometers. It looks normal until you get up to 79 degrees F. Then, the next higher increment is 1000 deg F. Above that, it just says " Holy crap. It's hot out there!"

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I just wish 1 thing....

Someone would make a vehicle you can pound the shit out of, change the oil once in a while, that never breaks and is under 10k

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I just wish 1 thing....

Someone would make a vehicle you can pound the shit out of, change the oil once in a while, that never breaks and is under 10k
Second that.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don’t mind not having A/C but I really can’t stand having both windows down at the same time.

A-C’s however are A MUST!

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When I lived in NE Tenn. I could get by without AC. Now in Alabama it’s a different story.

My biggest gripe with new auto ac systems is their retarded logic on the recirc door.

If my wife’s explorer has been sitting out side in 98 degree heat the inside will be 120+.

When you get in the car and the ac is set to auto, that bastard will not open the fresh air door to cool it down quicker. You have to take it out of auto.

This is so stupid because with the recirc door closed its trying to cool 120+ air vs 98 air.

Only reason it overrides is because humidity level is higher than it wants (recirc pulls more humidity out).

I actually did a test and found out if I manually override and open the recirc door for the first few minutes (until cabin is same temp as outside) it can cool the car down almost 10 mins faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I guess that depends on the vehicle. Some of these new Suv's have terrible blind spots behind them and a backup camera is basically a necessity. My truck on the other hand, a backup camera would be pointless. I can just turn do the ole arm on the passengers seat over the shoulder look and see perfectly fine backing up.
That's what mirrors are for. With properly adjusted mirrors I can see more than I can see looking over my shoulder (at least, I think I can).

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's what mirrors are for. With properly adjusted mirrors I can see more than I can see looking over my shoulder (at least, I think I can).
I feel like I can see more with my mirrors than looking over my shoulder too.

But I have driven some vehicles that just had all around terrible field of view. The FJ Crusier and H2/H3 come to mind.

The worst one however was a Subaru Impreza wagon that I had as a rental for a week in Atlanta. No visibility to the rear quarters through the windows due to tiny windows and huge D pillars, no visibility in that area due to tiny mirrors, even the passenger couldn't turn around and see if there was someone there if you needed to merge left.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
(Disclaimer: I'm an industrial equipment engineer by trade, so this may influence my opinions)

I like system integration... but I don't like systems that do not have good redundancy or fallback options. If you're driving hundeds of miles away from support, one easily damaged sensor shouldn't kill everything or make the vehicle completely limp home if at all possible. ABS system out? Set a fault, and use one of the transmission sensors (if it's an auto) or hell even the GPS sensor to regulate the amount of steering assist. It seems like the designer of th OP's F150's control system focused on making things work when all is well, but skimped on making things "work" (or be recovered from) when something is amiss. It's not an easy thing to get right (I'm an engineer, I know), but one can at least hope they've fixed this on later models (or in a future model).

----

As for me, I personally feel my 1995 is set up just about right in terms of technology:

Stock technology: All regular cab interior options (Power windows and locks with alarm and remote). EEC V (OBD2) and 4-wheel ABS (RWAL not working IMHO cost my my last 1995 ranger when my wife rear ended a lifted 4x4 on a snowy road :annoyed:). 4R55E transmission (wish I had a 1997 with both 5R55E and TIB suspension, but beggars can't be choosers). No chip keys and FOBs can be programmed at will (although not having aftemarket FOB cases is very annoying- I keep breaking mine). Working AC- I fixed it myself and in the summer I do use it!

Aftermarket technology: Lighted visors from an explorer (more for the wife than for me). CB radio. Used to have a Radar detector (still have a harwired pigtail in the dash for it). Android head unit with GPS, backup cam, 10+GB of music on a flash drive, and Bluetooth- Runs Torque pro so I can view OBD2 and/or GPS data in real time while on the road. HID headlights and LED lights in camper shell. Most lights (other than ABS cluster lamp) swapped to LEDs (need to find better supplier for these, many have failed :annoyed:). Oil pressure gauge system converted from a switch to analog.

Yes I am very peculiar with how I like things... To me, it's all about control, and that I, the truck owner, can control and adjust things as needed.

Side note- my boss at work hates AC, and having baked in several company/rental vans as a result, I can see both sides of the argument. Some people like me burn up and need/enjoy it, others need fresh air and don't seem to burn as much. Also, I prefer to actually hear my music (not just meaningless background noise), so at speed I can't stand windows down (especially when your passenger/boss won't let you crank up the volume!).

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thicker pillars and high beltlines for safety make newer rigs harder to see out of.

And smaller body hugging mirrors for mpgs don’t help any either.

I can see out if my first gen great... in a rollover the cab will crush to the belt line without flinching though.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
backup cameras are great. my son has a 2017 Ram, I can back that thing out a 200' curved drive at night using only the display.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
(Disclaimer: I'm an industrial equipment engineer by trade, so this may influence my opinions)

I like system integration... but I don't like systems that do not have good redundancy or fallback options. <edit> It's not an easy thing to get right (I'm an engineer, I know), but one can at least hope they've fixed this on later models (or in a future model).
1st of all, don't get impression I don't like the truck. Since the sensor was fixed, it is working great again:

Without a load, it would destroy everything I've owned, except my FZ750, between stoplights, and it has knocked back 29.8mpig on one tankful. Brakes in it are set of anchors.

The integrated trailer brake is a dream - just plugin, fine tune and drive. Combined with the reverse camera/trailer backup assist, the significant other is no longer intimidated pulling a trailer - which means I don't have to drive all 800km to her parents and back. She could probably back the "condo on wheels" up a curving driveway at night with the tech.

Heater kept cab toasty when it was -36* outside/cool at +36*C while pulling trailer.

Add improved fuel economy to the reasons for high belt line/deep box. Which leads to the issue of the interior rear view mirror being less than useful. But the camera more than makes up for loss.

-----

I have had a catastrophic failure in same area when the Duraspark module died on my 302 powered Bobcat wagon* and nearly same when one set of points went out in my '68 (advantage dual point distributor).

Heater in the RBV Explorer wouldn't keep rear row passengers warm at -30* and was overheating while pulling the trailer when it was in the high 20's* C.

So the old tech isn't "golden".

*Luckily, there was still a small town Ford dealer back then, so once problem was diagnosed, parts were close.

p.s. I know the challenge of integrating controls systems and feedback loops from my day job as well. I question if one issue on >3M trucks ('15-'18s) get noticed for improvement. Fix the sensor, clear the error and continue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals