• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaf spring front bushing Question

95rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey Everyone I am replacing my front leaf spring hangers seeing they are rotting out. typical I did the rears last year and now the fronts are gone. The question is how hard is it to change out the bushings on the front of the spring? Thank you in advance for your help..

1996xlt3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the bushing is a metal sleve that sits in two rubber end caps just like the back ones... i used a grinder to cut the nut off the old one heated the piss out of it and used a tuning fork to punch it... have fun with the drivers side you dont have to drop the tank just take them off on the passenger side and push the tank over with a small jack... i didnt reuse the metal sleve i used an over size grade 8 bolt from the harware store that was 9/16ths and i have had no problems without the sleve.

95rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I will try that when I get the shackles in. I just ordered them today and hopefully be here by this weekend. I slacked on doing the rear ones and the bed has 2 holes in it where the shackles came through. Gotta love ford and their cheap metal that will rot. Just want ot do it right the 1st time and not worry about the bushing rubber later on... Thanx for the info.

95rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking can I change out the rubber instead of the whole sleeve?

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
when i did my first set on my 1990 i used the torch and burned out the bushings and then used a die grinder to cut a slot in the metal shell because it was to rusted to tap out with a hammer. i replaced them with polyurethane bushings which come in a 3 piece design. you get two rubber bushing, one inserted in each side of the spring and a sleeve, which fits inside the bushings for the bolt to ride in. if you go to the parts store and dont specify that you want this style you will get another bushing with a steel shell on the outside which will be hard as hell to get in without use of a press. the secong set of bushings i did was on my 94 and i bought the springs brand new from LMC. they came with the pressed in rubber bushings so hte first thing i did was order some new polyurethane ones and used the shops press to remove the original sleeved bushings. you might ask why get rid of new bushings that are perfectly fine but ive learned that when you live in the rust belt things have a tendency to crap out when you least expect it and its easier to remove the 3 piece bushings when the bolt rusts into the sleeve vs trying to remove the bolt sleeve and bushing with metal outershell still attached.

95rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I actually did buy the polys 3 piece from autozone. I just got my brackets in the mail yestersay and will tackle them this weekend seeing it will be 70+ degrees and I have off on monday soo i can take my time.. I am debating on drilling out the rivets or just grinding them down. I ground down the rear ones when i replaced them last year but hopefully i can drill em.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
drilling will most likely be more miserable that grinding them. drill bits dont like the domed surface of the rivets not to mention there is a HUGE likely hood you will deform the hole thats left after the rivet is removed.

95rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I guess grinding is the best bet.. need to get some wheels. and have fun.. thanx for the advise 86 ford.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals