• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cluster gauge issue

Lovetherange

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I took a instrument cluster from. 93 6 cylinder ranger and stuck it into my 94 2.3l 4 cylinder for the tach considering mine did not come with one... through research I have found that it is rarely plug and play... well I have gotten a response from the tach needle(not sure how accurate, please let me know if I can adjust this) the speedometer seems to be a little further off so I may swap the speedo needle from the 94 cluster for better accuracy... the problem I have is this, my gas gauge now doesn’t work... when I turn on the vehicle it goes past full and works down to below empty and stays there... the other cluster the gas gauge half worked... ergo it would work at a quarter, half and full... any advice? Thanks a million in advance.

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
You probably need to ground your tach. If the positive wire is correct and without a proper ground it will display high and erratic. Not sure about the wiring on the 93 but printed circuits are possibly shared causing your fuel gauge issue. Nevertheless, you should be able to trace the tach ground circuit back to the pin that needs grounding.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
I used a cluster from a '94 v6 in my '93 four banger. I pulled the speedo out of the '93 cluster, stuck it into the '94 cluster. After that the whole cluster was plug and play. No rewiring or adjusting necessary.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals