• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ranger was leaking low on fluid added fluid not leaking?

tonyzz

Reaction score
Hello I have a 93 ranger XLT v6 4.0 manual m50d r-1. I noticed it was leaking the other day, also driving I could hear the gear click when I shifted. Got home poured half a quart of fluid into the shifter from the top as the truck was hot. Truck is shifting better no more clicking when I shifted but I noticed it is not leaking anymore put a white towel under the truck when I got home. Towel was clean no drips. I looked at the 3 rubber vents on the side and wondered if fluid when low was leaking from there, the area is greasy. I will have time to investigate more this weekend. Any thoughts or ideas would help. It was leaking from the rear gasket not seal.

Thanks for your help

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There are two plugs on the drivers side of the trans: a fill plug up high, and a drain plug near the bottom. The correct fluid level is right at the bottom of the fill plug - IE, you fill it till it starts to dribble out. Filling through the shifter hole will give you zero indication of how much fluid is in it, or if it's even actually low.

The rear gasket is not actually a seal, it essentially is just a buffer for metal/metal contact between the trans and t-case. There's actually a drain channel machined into the transmission tailhousing and that area is supposed to be totally dry - if you have fluid leaking out, it's either coming from a bad seal on the trans output shaft, t-case input, or an external leak on the trans, probably from the rubber shift rail plugs or the top cover.

These transmissions are notorious for the shift rail plugs leaking... you can get steel freeze plugs to replace the rubber ones and that fixes the issue.

tonyzz

Reaction score
Thank you. I am going to check the fluid tomorrow and bring it to the correct level. Going in the shifter hole was a quick temp fix to get me to the weekend. It did appear to be where the metal to metal connected. I will look tomorrow, I need to change the oil also to see if I can find where the fluid was coming from. The 3 rubber plug area was greasy and look like a fresh fluid was there. So hopefully that is where it was coming from as that is the easiest fix.

Tony

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals