• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Timing gear help

forzainformer2

Reaction score
So when I wrecked my truck and i was headed home the truck shut of and wouldn’t start up again, I’ve found where the problem is coming from the timing gear on the crank. I can make the engine turn over till the sun goes down and the whole crank is turning but I the cam will not, the belt isn’t broken so it has lead me to believe that it is in fact the timing gear on the crank. My question is what should I be looking for to be broke on it? Is there a keyway or something else holding that gear in place? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

forzainformer2

Reaction score
Yes, there is a woodruff/machine key that times crank with belt gear

Picture here: https://www.2carpros.com/images/question_images/3291/original.jpg

Best guess would be the crank pulley was hit in the accident which caused the woodruff key to shear off

The engine broke off the mounts and jumped forward, i have no clue what it couldve hit in the impact because the only body damage i have is the bumper.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
One other possible problem causing the cam to stay still would be if the belt had a lot of teeth sheared and they happened to be at the crankshaft sprocket. The crankshaft would turn, the sprocket turn, and the belt stay still, possibly moving back and forth a bit as the sprocket teeth bumbled over the remains of the belt teeth.
You could remove the belt cover, and move the belt manually, either by grabbing and pulling, or by using the aux or cam sprockets to move the belt. Once moved, you could examine the belt for tooth loss. You'd also have viewable access to the crankshaft sprocket.
To replace the crankshaft sprocket requires removal of the crank pulley/damper, also required(you can do it but not recommended) to replace the timing belt.
tom

forzainformer2

Reaction score
One other possible problem causing the cam to stay still would be if the belt had a lot of teeth sheared and they happened to be at the crankshaft sprocket. The crankshaft would turn, the sprocket turn, and the belt stay still, possibly moving back and forth a bit as the sprocket teeth bumbled over the remains of the belt teeth.

You could remove the belt cover, and move the belt manually, either by grabbing and pulling, or by using the aux or cam sprockets to move the belt. Once moved, you could examine the belt for tooth loss. You'd also have viewable access to the crankshaft sprocket.

To replace the crankshaft sprocket requires removal of the crank pulley/damper, also required(you can do it but not recommended) to replace the timing belt.

tom

The key is missing by the looks of it the gear isnt turning either when we rotate the motor.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
forza:"The key is missing by the looks of it the gear isnt turning either when we rotate the motor."

Does this mean the sprocket on the crankshaft remains stationary when the crankshaft turns? Or. Does this mean the cam shaft sprocket remains fixed when the crankshaft rotates?

The key on the crankshaft is not designed to bear the load, I think, and is used more to get correct position of the gear. IOW, I think the fastener must be tightened to 80+ ft/lb to keep all things aligned, so the key does not get sheared. If not, well there you go.
If/when you decide to replace the key and belt(why not it's all apart anyway?), you can use rope down a spark plug hole to block the engine from turning while you wrench on the pulley bolt. The rope will act as a soft block when the piston gets to TDC, keeping the crankshaft stationary.
tom

forzainformer2

Reaction score
forza:"The key is missing by the looks of it the gear isnt turning either when we rotate the motor."

Does this mean the sprocket on the crankshaft remains stationary when the crankshaft turns? Or. Does this mean the cam shaft sprocket remains fixed when the crankshaft rotates?

The key on the crankshaft is not designed to bear the load, I think, and is used more to get correct position of the gear. IOW, I think the fastener must be tightened to 80+ ft/lb to keep all things aligned, so the key does not get sheared. If not, well there you go.

If/when you decide to replace the key and belt(why not it's all apart anyway?), you can use rope down a spark plug hole to block the engine from turning while you wrench on the pulley bolt. The rope will act as a soft block when the piston gets to TDC, keeping the crankshaft stationary.

tom

The sprocket does stay stationary when the crank rotates and the belt is definitely getting replaced.

forzainformer2

Reaction score
Can someone give me the dimension/Shape of the key on the crankshaft for the timing gear?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What year engine?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals