• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 4WD front brake upgrade ???

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm reading my manual for details on replacing the steering knuckles on my 2002 4WD torsion bar Ranger with the 2004 knuckles I acquired. All looks doable for me till I read where it says to remove the torsion bars. Is that really necessary?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'm reading my manual for details on replacing the steering knuckles on my 2002 4WD torsion bar Ranger with the 2004 knuckles I acquired. All looks doable for me till I read where it says to remove the torsion bars. Is that really necessary?
hell no.
DO ONE SIDE AT A TIME
loosen big nut with the wheel on the ground.
jack enough to put support under frame, and a support under the lower control arm, or a floor jack.
remove wheel, brake bracket, big nut, unplug ABS sensor cable at frame, remove it if possible. (rust!)
then loosen lower ball joint nut, upper control arm bolt, tie rod nut.
whack the parts to loosen them.

now remove the tie rod and upper bolt, lift the upper control arm, and tilt the knuckle, pushing on the axle stub. if the stub is stuck, place wood chunk on stud and hit wood. that will dampen the blow so the CV won't get damaged. when the axle stub clears the knuckle lift the knuckle off the lower ball joint. the axle stays in the differential.

assemble in reverse order, knuckle on lower ball joint, slide axle in to knuckle, tilt up, install upper bolt, finish other stuff.
tighten big nut with wheel on the ground.

the factory machining is good enough that I didn't need an alignment afterwards,,, but its best to do an alignment.

Last edited:

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks PJToledo. The instructions also say I need a puller for the wheel hub - which I may or may not have and a tool to install a new knuckle seal. How was your experience with those?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
now you're gonna make me think,
on the puller for the hub I used a hammer to get the old ones out.
loosen the 3 bolts on the back of the knuckle, set them so they are about 1 turn from snug. that should show a small gap between the bolt head and knuckle.

smack each bolt until its flush, back each off 1 turn, smack again. it won't take long for the hub/bearing assembly to pop out.

installing the new hub is even easier. place it in, start bolts. tighten each in 1/2 turn increments to pull the hub in straight.

the seal is a simple thing. almost anything can be used to drive the old out and new in. just get the correct depth and keep it straight. some years don't even use the seal. check the pic where I mentioned corrosion in the hole. that is a 2004 knuckle and it never had a seal. the seal pictured is for PVH hubs, you don't have those.

on the axle splines, clean with wire brush, lube and push it back in.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the big center nut is a friction fit, it was "crushed" to require lots torque to install it, and that locks it on the threads. when taking it off lube the threads with grease, even then it will give you a workout removing it.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks again PJToledo. My manual says those big front axle nuts should not be reused.

I will reuse my 2002 hubs so will be careful removing those.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Planning ahead for this brake upgrade, I see no reason not to replace the ball joints while I have the all disassembled replacing the steering knuckles.

The upper left ball joint comes as part of the control arm (Moog CK8708T) meaning that the suspension bushings also get replaced, which I consider to be advisable anyway.

As for the upper right ball joint, my truck has the two-part design. That part with the ball joint is a Moog CK8710T but I don't know if this includes the inner control arm and suspension bushings or not. If not, then I see no part number for the control arm. I would rather replace the inner control arm to include the suspension bushings while I'm at this. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the inner half isn't available anymore. the replacement is a 1 piece unit like the drivers side. the cam bolts do what the "other" bolt did, they adjust both caster and camber.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCQTXK80068

lots of other brands & vendors, that's the first one I pulled up.

Last edited:

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got it and thanks again PJToledo.

The one piece part is a Moog CK80068.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got my new replacement upper control arm/ball joint assemblies. These are Moog units. Any reason they send only one bolt/nut with each?

Well duh! That bolt locks the ball joint in the steering knuckle.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals