• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2-3 Shift Flare 4r44e

TheCitrusMaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So, I bought a 00 Mazda B3000 (Ford Ranger) two months ago, and it has begun to flare between 2-3 gears. It didn't do it immediately when I bought it, but over the 1k miles I have driven it this issue has appeared (not really sure when). Right now it is sitting at 131k. I did a 3.5 qt fluid change right after buying it.

It downshifts into third fine, and if I let off the gas right before the 2-3 shift, it shifts fine as well. The only time it does the flare is when I am accelerating decently and I am at operating temperature.

The rest of the gears shift fine, although they are a little weak so I suspect the previous owner did some hauling that wore the clutches or something. I might have to replace this tranny at some point anyway, I would still like it to last as long as possible but this shift flare is kinda getting annoying.

From my research online, it can be a number of things, such as:
A problem with the intermediate servo, servo spring, or servo bore (that last one requires a whole new tranny right?).
A problem with the EPC solonoid
A problem with the valve body gasket
I also saw a thread that recommended putting a shift kit in as well. I found one on rockauto for about 50 bucks so I might give that a try.

Overall I can replace all of the parts listed above for around 150, but I would like some advice on which to do first, or if I should even do them at all. I am a little bit of a noobie to transmissions (and automotive work in general), so any help is appreciated. If I do all of these fixes and it is still doing it I am going to throw some lucas stop slip in there and ride it till it dies :icon_hornsup:

Thank you!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The early 2000 era trans had paper vb gaskets that were prone to blowing out and leaking and were later replaced with bonded separator plates & gaskets. That is a well known and simple fix but not a guarantee. The shift correction kits also helps but again no guarantee it will fix the flare (they help alot of other common problems though and give the trans a firmer feeling). The overdrive and intermediate servo bore issue can be fixed without removing the trans. There are kits with special pins that seal on the worn bore. And an epc solenoid is also a common fix for the 2-3 flare. In fact the instructions that came with my shift kit specifically mentioned replacing the epc solenoid if the trans was experiencing the 2-3 flare.

The problem is figuring out which of theses is the issue unless you wanna go nuts and just throw everything at it at once. If it were me i would get the bonded vb gasket, drop the valve body and inspect the old gaskets. You can usually see rips or blowouts to verify if that was the issue, While the valve body is out might as well install the shift correction kit and put in a new epc. The servo kits are expensive so i wouldnt mess with them unless the valve body work doesn't help.

Last edited:

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem

TheCitrusMaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just a follow-up, in case anyone else runs into this issue. I replaced the VB gaskets, EPC solenoid, and installed a shift kit from trans-go and it works great now.
My truck actually had a bonded separator plate, but some spots were still peeling up. I sanded off the old gasket from the plate and installed a new one. I have had no issues since.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals