• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trouble with 1990 B2 - Poor acceleration

jhurt1976

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm stumped as to what to do now. I have a 1990 B2 that I've been working on. Just replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, dist. cap, distributor, catalytic converter and injectors and it still has a rough idle and acceleration. Seems to run better when it's warm outside but at night time I can't even keep highway speeds. Not sure what else to check.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jhurt Not quite enough to go on here.. Give some particulars! How does it run? Does it cough and spit? Does it Make noises? Does it run at low speeds well? C'mon tell us what it does and when?
Big JIm

jhurt1976

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it coughs and spits a lot, especially when it's at night and the block is really cool. Checked for vacuum leaks and couldn't find any. When I press down on the gas pedal it speeds up really slow (or slows down if I'm going up an incline, just bogs down on me). Runs really bad at low speeds and no unusual noises that I can hear other than some vibration when it bogs down on me when I start to move.

Went out to see how it ran now that it's daylight and nice and warm out, it still bogs down some but not to the point that it vibrates really bad when starting out. Still definitely noticeable though, probably about 50% better than when starting it up at night time.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check your timing? Also, be sure to remove you spout plug when setting it.

jhurt1976

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, timing was set at the shop when they changed out the distributor. I took the breather hose off too and smelled it for exhaust. It kind of smelled faint so not sure if the exhaust is backing up or not, haven't replaced the muffler yet. Someone said that a new catalytic converter can make it run rough until you put 50-100 miles on it and get it heated up really good but I'm afraid if I drive it I might mess something else up.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
get the codes...1st and see what they're telling you....check with your local/favorite parts store maybe they'll read them for you.

90B24wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
"Yeah, timing was set at the shop when they changed out the distributor."

But was the spout plug removed when the timing set?

jhurt1976

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if they removed the spout plug. I took it to Pepboys to get the distributor changed out. I called them today and I'm supposed to take it back in since they had run a diagnostic before the distributor change out. Will post on what they say and see if it makes sense to y'all (I know little about this kind of stuff).

jhurt1976

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Diagnostic done, they say it's my ECM causing the engine to fire incorrectly.

jhurt1976

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep yep, it sure was

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals