• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger Purchase

JTF

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking to buy a Ford Ranger for general around the house duties, no heavy towing.Are there any specific years to stay away from due to known issues. I would like a 4 cyclinder, 6 at the most, automatic but can drive a manual if its a better option, 4 x 2 don't really need or will use the 4 x4, ac thats about it. Most other makes of trucks around this size have not so good reviews as far as used goes. Any comments or suggestions are welcome, I am a honda car owner but want to give this one to the wife as hers died recently.

Paul
Kingston Ontario

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'll be happy to share my thoughts. My personal Ranger is a '94 4-banger (2.3), 4x4 w/ a stick. It's a regular cab & has about 156,000 miles on it.

1. If you're looking at years, try to find a good, clean Gen 3 (93-97) or Gen 4 (98-02). The good news about this generation is that they're plentyful and and can be had for relativly shirt money. I paid about $2,000 for mine in '07.

2. Your only two engine options ARE a 4-banger (2.3 or 2.5, depending on the year) AND a 6 (2.9, 3.0, or 4.0, depending on the year.) Either of the 4's is a good choice, espeaclly if you don't tow. If you get a 6, try to find a 4.0. The Ranger was never offered from Ford with a V8, but some people have swapped them in.

3. Transmissions: You'll get better milage with a 5-speed. Plus, assuming the truck hasn't been abused, the clutch can EASILY last 170,000+ miles. A local parts store used Rangers for deliveries & the manager's mentoind that they get close to 200,000 miles on a clutch under SEVER service! Mine's got 156,000 on the factory clutch & i'm the THIRD owner of the truck!

4. Everything else: Just watch out for the usual stuff like maintaince & rust issues. Ranger's are pretty stout. I liken them to an F-150 that shrunk in the wash. The good news with Rangers is that they're EVERYWHERE. Nearly any parts store will have 90% of the parts you need. What they don't have the local salvage yard likely will.

It sounds like your best bet would be to find a 4-banger/5-speed/2WD Ranger. For winter (as I see you're from Ontario, you'll probably expierence), jst toss about 300 lbs of tube sand & the back & you'll be fine.

Let us know what you find!

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
the late 2.3(93-97) is almost the same engine as the 2.5(98-00 and a few 01)
pretty reliable engine and gives decent power for a daily drive
now from 01+ theres the duratec 2.3 it has more power than the old ones and even better mileage

snomaker321

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
In my search for a new truck I have some across a few 4 bangers. A bunch ive seen have been up around 250,000 miles. The 3.0 is considered near bulletproof and the 4.0 is reliable as well.

hopman pretty much has it all covered. Listen to him
happy searching! :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well it ain't gonna see no 25 MPG, but it would probably be a good reliable truck. That's kinda high mileage for an 06, but it's nothing I'd be overly worried about. I'd rather own a 5 year old car with 20 years of miles on it than a 20 year old one with 5 years of miles.

Sitting can be just as bad as driving too much.

TheTopher

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They pretty much have it covered. I use my truck for light hauling every now and again, I have no intention of ever towing with it and I've got a 2.3 Lima motor, 2wd, 5 speed and 3.45 gears. Probably the least powerful Ranger combination made after 89. But it gets me around fine. Easy on gas too, on a good day it can get 30mpg highway.

I personally think 94 was the best year for the Ranger. All the gen 3 features without any of the OBDII crap they added in 95. I don't think they get much more reliable than that year, however they haven't changed that much over the years and the newer ones are still very stout, reliable little vehicles.

Last thing, make sure you get a 5 speed. The automatic transmissions in these trucks just don't last as long as everything else. Stick with a stick (Yea', I'm lame) and you'll have a long lasting truck with no real weak points.

Last edited:

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
we bought a 01 ranger a few years ago now. 2 or 3. for about 3000$ 2wd v6 single cab short box base model. it works very well with no real maintenance needed so far. i would look for 4th generation since they still look modern because that model is still in production.
and they are abundant. gen 3 would also work. stay away from 1st and 2nd gen they are more problematic obviously because they are much older.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Heck I got a Gen 4 (98-00) extended cab 4x4 with the 3.0L 5spd, 31's and 3.73's and I can pull off 25 on the highway and around 16- 20 city depending on how I drive.

A ranger past 93, 2wd, any engine with a stick will probably get you around 20mpg's at the least as long as you drive it right and its in good working order.

Just cruise CL in areas around you like Toronto and look for what you want. Heres a link to the Toronto CL for rangers. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/search/cta?query=ranger&catAbbreviation=cta

JTF

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome info, I will get a 5 spd for sure.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Awesome info, I will get a 5 spd for sure.
Good choice. It's a very stout trans. One of the nice features is a lockout that keeps you from going into reverse from 5th (OD). Saved my butt a few times.

The autos can be weak and overheat easily. Besides, the shuft on the Rangers is well-placed.

On the '94 being the best of the Rangers, I'll vouch for that.

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals