• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My F250 HD Powerstroke

Fabricator

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

Mr 85Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Great looking truck!! I used to have a 97 F-250HD Powerstroke also but it was reg cab and 2wd. They truly are one of the greatest truck/engine combo's Ford has ever had!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 2000 Powerstroke in van. It's alright, I guess. Not much power for the size of engine. Less than the Banks 6.2 in my pickup. Worst thing is, I think a single injector in the Powerstroke costs more than a whole 6.2. I don't work the van very hard because of that. I have 2 extra 6.2s people gave me which I will use if I ever hurt the original engine in my pickup. My Powerstroke hauls kids around and is non-vital. We can always use 2 cars if the 15-pax van fails.

I'm sure the van could make more power with a tuner, but I don't want to risk it. I towed my track loader with it once as a test and it wasn't comparable to my pickup. I'd rather thrash the cheap motor and baby the Powerstroke. I only bought the van because my wife was about to buy a Mercedes Sprinter thing and I was heading her off at the pass. I've been a good sport trying to see if the van could replace the old Chevy diesel, but, frankly, the stock Powerstroke doesn't match up. To me, it's a double minivan and the more often it stays parked, the further off my having to buy an expensive engine part or transmission will be.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wonder how the tuning compares between a van and a truck?

IIRC Banks makes a turbo kit for a 7.3 as well to be fair...

Most people consider the 6.2 to be worth the current value of scrap, in some locals it is may be cheaper to change engines than oil... not that I am really crazy about IH's attempt at a diesel either. They seem to strive on making everything as odd/awkward as possible (tractors included)

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't give most people a kick for their opinion. How many people actually owned a 6.2, added a turbo, and used it for 10 years?

Most people don't know what a turbocharger is. You don't know until you have a 155hp idi 6.2 and try to tow an 8,000# trailer into rush-hour traffic. Before and after--then you know.

If you had a 155hp--which is the highest tuning a naturally aspirated 6.2 ever had from the factory--that means another 155hp worth of heat was blown out through the cooling system and another 155hp went out through the factory dual exhausts. A turbocharger is 2 parts--the turbine (like a jet engine) takes all of that 155hp going out through the exhaust and turns it into rotational force. It's about 70% efficient so 100hp is turning the compressor of the turbo. Can you imagine a 100hp air compressor? Mine at home is 7hp.

The 379 cubic inch 6.2 is being fed most of another atmosphere as it reaches 12psi at full boost with 14.7 at sea level being atmospheric. Banks tuned this motor with their kit at 209hp rear-wheel, no smoke--it was a dealer-installed factory option. That's 240hp, flywheel and 27:1 air/fuel, which shows no smoke. You start to get a little smoke around 22:1, which is what my truck sees. That's around 290hp. I don't claim that figure, but it's very realistic for the way it behaves and what the gauges show. I've takes 3 long tows (to New York City, Delaware and Wellsville, Ohio--all hauling cars) in an '03 7.3 Powerstroke, own a 2000 7.3 Powerstroke and have had a 6.2 with a Banks turbo for 10 years. I know what is what with these. This Banks 6.2 is stronger than the 275hp, 520ft# 7.3 in real use. Granted, the 6.2 is only 24 years old, and once it's out of warranty it will most likely explode and prove me wrong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals