• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Trouble Bleeding your clutch?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Then obviously you didn’t do it right

jcook100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I can't tell whether or not I need to remove the clip from the receiving end on the slave cylinder to remove the line. In one video above, he does remove it. In others, they say not to. How do I know? M5R1 5 speed transmission.

Edit: He says not to remove it when INSERTING the line. So I guess I need to remove it? Someone must have changed the slave cylinder in the past. Unfortunately, the transmission housing is in the way of the clip. Should I grind it back?

Attachments

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your clutch master cylinder goes out, the new one comes in two parts, the cylinder and the rod to the pedal. After you install the cylinder from the outside, you then push the rod into the plunger and it locks into place. Don't make the mistake of doing this before it's been bled, like I did. At that point it's best to pull the fluid line plum out (not a piece of cake but can be done. I had no help here when doing mine and tied a wire to the master cylinder and connected transmission tube, hooked an old door spring to it and tied the tail high on the hood to put upward tug on the line, then got got underneath and fed it through)
Then anchor high enough it doesnt reach the ground, fill the reservoir , and wiggle those lines all around untill you don't hear any more bubble. Put the cap back on the reservoir and feed it all back thru pre-bled.
Wish I had known that before snapping that plunge rod back in, cause after that the only way to get it out was pull the brake booster cylinder out the way, allowing the clutch master cylinder to be removed in an upward direction

I also like the method Blackwidow suggested, sounds good to me, wish I had known it then

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Why doesnt he mention that it takes hours to get the MC out? Another great Ford design. Along with the three different screw sizes to get the fender liner out.
Probably for two reasons.

One, this video was meant as an instructional for bleeding new parts, before they are installed.

Two, it doesn't take everyone hours. I can usually have a master cylinder and line R+R'd in about an hour. Makes no sense to mention an amount of time when it will be very different for everyone.

MrChuck2000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your method sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please explain how it sucks. I may have to do tis exact procedure later this week!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Please explain how it sucks. I may have to do tis exact procedure later this week!
The video in the first post is how I have bench bled many, many RBV clutches. It works perfectly but you have to pay attention during the process for anywhere air can get trapped.

I don't know about that brake bleeding method. Unless you've bled nice fresh fluid through your brakes recently you're going to pollute new clutch hydraulics with nasty old brake fluid. I can see where in theory it would work but I have never actually found it necessary to do that.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
For anyone else who has trouble bleeding these clutch systems. Here's a trick

Get a good clear hose. Run it from the driver side caliper bleeder to the slave cylinder bleeder. Open both bleeders. Slowly pump the brakes. This Will reverse bleed the clutch. And push the air out the reservoir.
Genius. Where did you come up with that? I don't think I've heard that mentioned before.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I had a Mazda Miata with the same transmission. The slave was bolted to the outside. What is the problem with just having the slave on the outside? It becomes lever operated this way and I've never seen a Miata with a problem slave. People just swap them out in ten minutes - easy job.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Genius. Where did you come up with that? I don't think I've heard that mentioned before.
That's how I bleed motorcycle brakes. If the fluid is good and you're just clearing a bit of air it's a very quick and effective method.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
RE: using brakes to bleed the clutch... besides the fluid-pollution problem pointed out by Shran, doesn't the clear connecting tube start out filled with air, so you're starting out by pushing a huge "slug" of air right into the clutch slave cylinder (and on up to the master cyl)??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals