• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dumped flowmaster = lost low end torque

joshkeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2010 4.0 sport 4 x 4

ive lost some low end torque going to a super 10 dumped right after muffler.. will adding tailpipe bring it back?

if not, what is the closest muffler to that of the stock setup? my stock muffler is trashed. the torque loss is enough that id rather drive in silence if i cant get it back with the current muffler

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That shouldn't happen unless pipe size was smaller

Rangers and most factory engines since 1980's used scavenging exhaust manifolds.
These create a velocity at the Collector, the larger pipe the 3 exhaust pipes on one bank flow into on a V6 engine.
This velocity creates a LOW PRESSURE at the exhaust valves in a specific RPM band, low band, mid band or high band can be "tuned".
Rangers use mid band tune from factory.
This low pressure helps suck out exhaust when valve opens which leaves more power on the crank

3rd party headers are usually low band tunes, "Racing Headers" are high band tunes.

From the Collector back as long as you stay with same size or larger diameter pipe it shouldn't change performance only the sound will change.

It reads like you may have an exhaust blockage, back pressure, which takes away scavenged power, i.e. smaller pipe size or Cat that is broken apart

No 4 stroke engine has back pressure from the factory, thats a myth, it comes from people putting on larger Header Pipes thinking better flow = better power.
But what they did was to lower the velocity at collector so they lost the scavenged low pressure at the exhaust valves so lost that extra power.

Tap on the Muffler and Cats with rubber mallet, see if any are rattling
You can also test for back pressure in the exhaust with a vacuum gauge on the engine

Last edited:

joshkeller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cats are good - in fact one was replaced under warranty last year. i had a flowmaster 44 2.5 in to 2.5 out with tail pipe on orior to this - the torque loss was the instant i put on the 2.5" super 10 with no tail pipe.

regular driving it isnt so noticeable - but hook up my 2200 lb boat and its very noticed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals