• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New torsion bar, but still leaning

greentoothpaste

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I installed a brand new torsion bar on the driver side of my 2003 Ford Ranger, hoping that it would resolve the driver side lean I've been experiencing.

I didn't get the results I was hoping for though. I still have about an inch of difference between the tire and wheel well on the driver side when compared to the passenger side. This is with the driver side torsion bolts nearly maxed out, and the passenger side with lots of bolt showing.

Any ideas what could be causing this lean still? I've inspected the suspension and everything seems to be in good condition.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Are you sure the shock or suspension isn't binding not allowing the suspension to drop?

Not much else it could be...

JamesH

Reaction score
Are the tires the same size?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If the drivers side control arms were ever replaced and they were tightened down in any position other than ride height, this can cause some binding and minimal height differences. If I had to guess, I'd say that you've simply cranked your bar too high on one side.

Without pictures/measurements/year/model of truck or any other details it's hard to say really. Fill out your profile/signature for future reference..

One more thing. It's natural to have one torsion adjuster bolt nearly maxed out and the other with several threads still showing. Just the nature of the beast.

GB :)

greentoothpaste

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If the drivers side control arms were ever replaced and they were tightened down in any position other than ride height, this can cause some binding and minimal height differences. If I had to guess, I'd say that you've simply cranked your bar too high on one side.

Without pictures/measurements/year/model of truck or any other details it's hard to say really. Fill out your profile/signature for future reference..

One more thing. It's natural to have one torsion adjuster bolt nearly maxed out and the other with several threads still showing. Just the nature of the beast.

I was wondering about the upper control arms actually. They were replaced on the driver side recently and new camber bolts installed on both sides. I'll try resetting the preload on those and see if it helps.

I uncranked the passenger side bolts quite a bit to see if it would bring it down level with the driver side but it didn't seem to have much affect. This leads me to think it might be the controls arms too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I was wondering about the upper control arms actually. They were replaced on the driver side recently and new camber bolts installed on both sides. I'll try resetting the preload on those and see if it helps.

I uncranked the passenger side bolts quite a bit to see if it would bring it down level with the driver side but it didn't seem to have much affect. This leads me to think it might be the controls arms too.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I should have specified the LOWER control arms. They have rubber inserts that can bind things up if they're tightened down in the wrong position. It wouldn't be much difference, and truthfully, they should relax soon after the rubber gives..

Make note that after torsion bolt adjustments you should roll the truck back and forth to let the suspension settle/relax to it's new ride height.

greentoothpaste

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I should have specified the LOWER control arms. They have rubber inserts that can bind things up if they're tightened down in the wrong position. It wouldn't be much difference, and truthfully, they should relax soon after the rubber gives..

Make note that after torsion bolt adjustments you should roll the truck back and forth to let the suspension settle/relax to it's new ride height.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I did take the truck out for a drive and then rechecked it but didn't notice much difference.

greentoothpaste

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So I think I may have found the culprit.

I jacked up the truck again tonight and had a look around and noticed that the sway bar links are different lengths. The passenger side is approx. 7inches and the driver side is approx. 6inches.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That will probably do it...

I would probably back off the driver torsion a bit before you remove the links

Get yourself a new set of sway bar links... leave the links off until you finish your torsion adjustments. Get them where you want them and put the links in. Throw a new set of shocks on... will be like a new truck.

greentoothpaste

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That will probably do it...

I would probably back off the driver torsion a bit before you remove the links

Get yourself a new set of sway bar links... leave the links off until you finish your torsion adjustments. Get them where you want them and put the links in. Throw a new set of shocks on... will be like a new truck.
Surprised that someone would install different sized links like that, but looking forward to getting this finally fixed.. The shocks are looking pretty rough so I'll take your advice and do them as well. Thanks.

UPDATE: the new sway bar links fixed it and the truck now sits level.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals