• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V2203 swap

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to make this build so that all parts are easily replaced by buying a new part, rather than fabricating everything. That being said, ill cover some other options. My engine had no alternator or bracket for one. It did have a bracket that was on the bellhousing for an industrial application of which I have no idea of its purpose.if you want to be really cheap you can use this. I have ordered a bracket from a kubota engine out of a CAT 299D2 skidsteer for 10 bucks that I think will work. Ill let you know how it works out when it arrives. Both brackets will need a tiny amount of material removed to fit the m10 bolt in the alt.

Also the bolt my finger is on in the photo has very little thread in the head in my opinion. Make sure to get the correct length of replacement m8 bolt for this spot.

Nest issue will be the pulley. The engine uses a larger v-belt than a ranger so the alt pulley will need to be changed. I'm thinking ill swap the alternator pulley out for an appropriate one. The pulley is 2 3/4 wide. I just need to find a similar sized one.

I've seen all kinds of different pulley systems used. I saw a serpentine system even. I am trying for simplicity. Anything will work as long as your pulleys line up correctly and make sure their is enough belt contact. It uses friction. It needs as much as it can get.

Attachments

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For exhaust there are way too many options to really cover them all, BUT.....it does seam to me that most of the engines point the exhaust flange upwards. I plan to try and run the engine NA at first and see how it does and i like versatility so what I plan is to use a piece of steel about the same size as the exhaust manifold. I'm going to copy the bolt pattern of the manifold drill it. Counter sink the back holes and use Allen head bolts that will sit in the plate. Ill flip the exhaust plate over so the bolt pattern will be "opposite" of the head. Kind of a mirror image. Ill use two exhaust gaskets this way but my manifold will be pointing straight down. It"'ll look clean, and even factory made.......hopefully.

On a side note. I think the turbo might work better this way with the exhaust downwards but well cover that later. I did notice the back side of the exhaust has a "flange" to it. It could be used as the exit for your exhaust as well......who knows I might change my mind and do that.

Attachments

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the Kubota club! Yes they are all SAE 4 but yours and mine are "Carrier specific" meaning the bolt pattern is SAE but the depth is not as well as the flywheel. It is a Carrier specific unit. I sold my Ranger 2 years ago and my current truck is a Sport Trac with the Kubota mated to a Nissan 6 speed manual. Love this motor and the 6 speed really works well with the motor.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was hoping you would chime in fte!

Yes I can't wait to have this project finished. I know I'm going to enjoy this engine. Glad to know you are still running them.

You've done several swaps correct? Any automatics? My truck is manual currently but my final intentions are for an automatic. Since this engine doesnt have a huge rpm range I know I need a narrow geared transmission.....have you found any good automatics that work well?

I have more questions id like to ask but I don't want to clutter the thread. You alright with me sending you a pm or two?

And thanks for the info on the bellhousing!

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes I have done 3 Kubota swaps, one an automatic. It was good, but I felt the auto sucked a bit too much power for my liking. I was planning the Sport Trac build and it was an auto, so I built a Cherokee to see how it would perform. The reason I picked the Cherokee is the stand alone TCU it had so making it work with the Kubota was easy. The Sport Trac weighs just shy of 5000 lbs so I needed to know if it would rob too much power, it did so I went with the 6 speed. That said in a Ranger 2wd it probably would be OK, The Cherokee did fine but no power to spare and would have been a dog with an extra 1000 lbs.

Last edited:

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you FTE. I was worried you would say that about the automatic. I was having trouble finding a transmission that I thought would be a good fit. Maybe its just best to stay with a manual tranny.

I haven't gotten much done lately. Been busy with other projects and such but I did manage to find the time to get the exhaust off tonight. Here is a picture of what I have planned. I had a pieces of steel that I thought would work but ill need a different piece the one I have isn't wide enough. I'm going to clean this up tomorrow and try to find a piece of steel that will work. Ill have to install new studs that are slightly longer then two gaskets mirror the outside two exhaust holes and viola it should look something like this. I like how this looks personally. A turbo may have some clearance issues with the block and steering which if thats the case ill worry about that later. I can always removed the plate I will have installed anyway. More updates to come.

Attachments

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Thank you FTE. I was worried you would say that about the automatic. I was having trouble finding a transmission that I thought would be a good fit. Maybe its just best to stay with a manual tranny.

I haven't gotten much done lately. Been busy with other projects and such but I did manage to find the time to get the exhaust off tonight. Here is a picture of what I have planned. I had a pieces of steel that I thought would work but ill need a different piece the one I have isn't wide enough. I'm going to clean this up tomorrow and try to find a piece of steel that will work. Ill have to install new studs that are slightly longer then two gaskets mirror the outside two exhaust holes and viola it should look something like this. I like how this looks personally. A turbo may have some clearance issues with the block and steering which if thats the case ill worry about that later. I can always removed the plate I will have installed anyway. More updates to come.
I'm still tuned in!

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm a big fan of the turbo manifold that came on the V2003T. Parts barn sells them new, that's what I'm running on the Sport Trac. PM sent with my contact info.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks FTE. I had wondered where some people were getting the different manifolds.

Sorry its been so long since an update. I've gotten busy with other various higher priority projects and life in general. This thread isn't dead. More to come when I get time.

Yettiyell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay, well it has been a while now. Life has gotten pretty crazy, but this project is still in the works. Ive got materials for an oil pan. I am making the oil pan myself from some angle iron and sheet metal. I had contacted FTE and I have to say thank you very much. He is loaded with info for this swap. I only wish I had his skill and knowledge. Making the oil pan is actually his idea. I was going to use a modified bobcat oil pan but I felt the homemade oil pan will work better. From this point forward if I dont give FTE credit for something it is not intentional. Alot of things I am going forward with are his ideas and practices. Im not going to reinvent the wheel. He knows what hes doing.

I have a transmission. Adapter now that I purchased from parts barn that I intend to bolt a m5od to. Currently i have an fm145 that I am going to use, that I am confident will not handle the engine, but I'm going to use what I have at the moment and drive it easy and see how far I get. The final plan is to try and run an automatic transmission because that is what my truck is from factory, and I need some help from some other people on here that would have more knowledge than me. I am contemplating using the a4ld, with possible "frankentranny" upgrades...I am not sure it can handle the engine output either but there is only one way to find these things out. Anyway the info I'm hoping someone can tell me is the different stall speeds of the various a4ld torque converters for the L4 2.9 and 4.0. So 've the v2203 has a low rpm range and has more torque than hp and I would need a tc that can compliment that. Ive found that the 4.0 is supposed to have a lower stall but with no specifics. Is the stall for the I4 engine higher or lower than the 4.0? I found an aftermarket company that makes low stall tc for a4ld but I dont think a performance tc is necessary. I am thinking a low stall tc is what will compliment best. If others have any theories as to what might work best in this please give me your ideas....I am no engineer, so this is all trial and error, and I am sure others than me know better. Also if anyone knows or has pictures of the bolt spacing for the I4 crank boltd with a measurement? I am trying to adapt a flexplate to the v2203 and I can't seem to figure out how to adapt the 2.9l flexplate. I'm wanting to see if the I4 flexplate might have a better ability to be adapted to the v2203. I found pictures of it and the bolt spacing seems close to the v2203. If anyone has this info I would grately appreciate it.

Sorry for how long this thread is taking. Hopefully well see some real progress soon this year.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals