• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R55E intermittent slip over 45 in 4wd

specialtool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi:

New to me ’04 XLT, 4.0, 5R55E. The weather is crap and the 4wd has been on more than normal - and an issue has come up.

Issue: Title kinda covers it. In 4wd high at speeds over ~45 mph, the driveline will briefly “pulse”/bump. Once every ten seconds or so to start; frequency increases with trans temp and the amount of time the 4wd has been engaged. Haven’t let it go long enough to see if it eventually fails entirely, for obvious reasons.

Does not happen at low speeds/gears 1-3 – works fine w/o noise or vibration. Happens in 5 and 4 (OD off to test) consistently. Does not seem to be losing 4wd when it happens.

I'd guess that I have a TCC lockup issue (sidenote: my mpg is ~14 hwy so 4wd may be only magnifying the issue), but it’s not setting any codes (scanned after driving before shutoff).

Trans does not flare into any gear in 2wd or otherwise behave badly.

(Searched before posting and didn’t find anything exactly on point, but if this has been covered I’d appreciate a link).

Ideas? Thanks very much.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

4WD is not the same as AWD
With 4WD both driveshafts get 50% of the power, an even split, so its a direct drive transfer case
AWD uses a fluid coupling transfer case so about a 30/70 split, this allows driveshafts to spin at slightly different speeds when needed

If using 4WD a wheel on the front or back may have a slightly different diameter, lower air pressure or worn more or ???

If the road surface is slippery then wheel can slip a bit and you wouldn't notice anything
On good traction surfaces you can, and at higher speeds it would be even more noticeable.

So I think you are feeling transfer case binding and releasing, not transmission
Best to stay in 2WD at higher speeds since at those speeds traction would not be a big concern, shift back to 4WD as needed when slower speeds would be required

Last edited:

specialtool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the informed response.

My '02 F150 will do 4wd all day long in the same conditions (snow) without protest, so I incorrectly presumed the same might apply here.

Different truck, different system. Know your vehicle, I guess. Thanks much.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if there is snow on the ground(low traction) then it shouldn't do it

So could be something else going on, but in the BW1354 transfer case not transmission

specialtool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Makes sense. I'll read up and dive in.

Thanks again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just occurred to me

Google: Ford Ranger Propeller Shaft CV Joint

These are on the front drive shaft at transfer case and they did have issues

And you may only notice the binding in 4WD at higher speeds

specialtool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Heh heh great minds ... pretty sure we're onto something.

I was about a quarter done pulling it when I ran out of heater propane. I'll know for sure in a few when polar vortex part deux gets outta here and I can finish up.

I will update with results, but it's looking promising.

Thanks for everything.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals