• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New guy from MI

JRC99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, my name is Joe. I'm 19, and got my second truck (first Ranger) a couple of weeks ago.

It's an '05 FX4 automatic.

I actually have quite a bit of history with Rangers. A few months after I was born, my Dad bought an '87 with the 2.9l V6, a 5 speed, and 4WD. That truck kickstarted my love of cars when I was three. I liked the square headlights. Didn't care about the tires, or the rollbar, or the lift. Nope. I liked the headlights.

That truck was sold in 2002 after it developed the infamous (from what I've heard) lifter tick.

In 2011, he bought an '05 FX4 that was in perfect shape.

He had a really good sound system in it, with a Kenwood head unit, good speakers, a sub box, and an amp.

Then I turned 12.

I'd developed in interest in mudding, as had my best friend. So, for my birthday that year, he took us out to the Mounds ORV Park in Mount Morris, MI. Just us. With no winch or buddies with trucks. You can see where this is going.

He was trying to take us to where the trucks with tractor tires were playing, so we could watch. We'd played a little bit in small stuff along the way, and I think he got confident.

Justin (my best friend) and I had told him "That one looks deep, I wouldn't do it." But it fell on deaf ears, apparently, because the next thing we knew, we weren't moving.

Dad did manage to get it going in reverse, but he was still determined to get to watch other trucks, so he tried again. It... didn't work.

Water was at the base of the driver's seat, and the amp was destroyed... but 4.0 never died. In fact, it drove the hour and a half home without a single problem. The starter needed to be replaced, and the aftermarket tail lights were full of water, but that was it.

In 2014, the truck got traded in on an Edge because we'd needed the space, and sadly a Google search of the VIN shows it was totaled sometime later.

In 2017, Justin bought a 2001 4x4 4.0, bringing yet another Ranger into my life. It's a decent truck, but it's kinda beat. After he got it, I didn't want to get one, because "he has one and I don't want the same truck as him!" In fact, I actually tended to flip flop between dentsides, 80s Dodge Rams, and 80-96 F-150s.

Then the Dodge dealership I work at got the truck in as a trade, and I immediately fell in love with it, throwing the previous thought right out of the window. It's only got 92k on it, and is remarkably similar to Dad's old '05. Mom gave me permission to trade in her Explorer (she doesn't go many places these days) that you see in the picture of Dad's so I could keep my first truck, a '96 Dakota, as a project.

My plans for the Ranger are relatively simple- Undercoat the hell out of it so it doesn't rust out, put a set of 265/75/16s on a better set of the factory wheels, maybe put a sound system like Dad's in it (sub box is still in the garage), do some paint touchups, and just drive and enjoy it.

(Wow, that was a long winded way of saying "bought a Ranger, have been around them before". Guess I like telling stories lol)

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
well.

get some square headlights for the damn thing already....

you know you want to.

i like square headlights too.:D

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
That second pic looks a lot like 85'S

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals