• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What is this noise?

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
1999 4wd xlt 85k. I've replaced the ball joints, rotors, calipers, brakes, tie rod ends and most recently the right side wheel bearing/hub assembly. Suddenly a few days ago I'm getting an odd noise from what seems like the right side or middle of the front end. It doesn't do it all the time it seems to be triggered by hitting rough road or pothole type surfaces. It sounds exactly like I'm driving on the ruts of the breakdown lane on the highway, EXACTLY. I can get it to stop by slowing way down but it just starts again on the next bump. Also truck is in 2wd with hubs unlocked. I recorded it but I'm having problems getting the video from my phone to my computer. I'll keep trying with the video but if anyone has experienced this type of sound I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
1999 4wd xlt 85k. I've replaced the ball joints, rotors, calipers, brakes, tie rod ends and most recently the right side wheel bearing/hub assembly. Suddenly a few days ago I'm getting an odd noise from what seems like the right side or middle of the front end. It doesn't do it all the time it seems to be triggered by hitting rough road or pothole type surfaces. It sounds exactly like I'm driving on the ruts of the breakdown lane on the highway, EXACTLY. I can get it to stop by slowing way down but it just starts again on the next bump. Also truck is in 2wd with hubs unlocked. I recorded it but I'm having problems getting the video from my phone to my computer. I'll keep trying with the video but if anyone has experienced this type of sound I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Buzzing clicking locked or unlocked? Either your hubs are bad or they're full of grease, solution; remove the grease if you take them apart be very very careful you have the right order when you putting back together, the hubs aren't terribly complicated but they have to be put together in the right order.

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
hubs unlocked and no grease in sight hub and wheel bearing assembly brand new and sealed. but definitely related to that hub. the sound is rotational so I guess I'll pull that wheel tomorrow and see what I see.
Thank you.

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Took the right wheel off today and nothing is loose. Then I had an idea. I switched the 4wd HI on but left the hub unlocked and no more sound. It almost seems like the axle splines or the hub splines are somehow rubbing.
Any ideas? Thanks.

akmiec68

Reaction score
New here. I have a 2006 4X4 ranger that was my dad’s ranch truck. I am having vibration problem also. I replaced a bad cv joint on the drivers side and also had a guy check the sealed wheel bearings. He said the wheel bearing are fine. This evening I put the truck up on box’s to see if I could find the problem of the vibration while it’s in off the ground. Now I heard noises coming from the transfer case area. I pulled the front drive shaft out, then put it back it gear and didn’t hear anything. The front drive shaft has a little play but I don’t think that would cause the vibrations. Tomorrow I am going to drain the transfer case and see it a get any metal with the oil. This truck only has 50,000 miles on it but it’s also hardly ever leaves the ranch. I also just gotten new tires on it thinking that would stop the vibration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals