• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tire swing gate

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
I am in the process of putting on a tire swing gate on a b2 that never had one on it. Does any one have any ideas of beefing up the rear area that the gate would bolt to. Keep in mind that I do not have a mig welder. Any help would be great.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I had a friend in high school who did this. I asked him what he did and told me he cut out the top corner of the fender and welded some bracing in there.

He also said he couldn't close it the whole way without denting the tailgate because the Ranger gate contours stick out farther than the BII lift gates. But he had the silver insert on the gate. If you don't have that it might fit better.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Do you mean a stock tire carrier, off another B2?

Without a welder, I dont think there is much that can be done to reinforce your back corner - at least nothing that will last long term.

Also, those tire carriers just bounce all around and brake shit offroad... So unless this is a street only vehicle I would advise against one. The only real option (especially for a larger-than-stock tire) is to build something that comes off the bumper.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
My 88 bronco two never had a swing gate on it. My b2 is more street but some wheeling. Only a 31 inch tire for a spare. And no braces or brackets inside the car. Or behind the sheet metal. I can get a hold of the bracket that belongs inside the sheet metal.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Hmm, I think I mis-read the original post. I though we were trying to put a BII tire carrier on a Ranger.

Cutting will be involved because there is a cutout above the RH tail light for the bracket that isn't there on the non-carrier units.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
A 31 has potential to rip the whole tire carrier off, trashing both your back corner and the lift gate.

Drive behind someone with a stock-sized tire on their carrier while offroad. It bounces all over the place... Keep in mind, all that keeps it from bouncing upwards is the back corner, and all that stops it from bouncing downwards is a small bracket sticking off your gate.(And a small spring-loaded handle to "lock it" in place.)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
My 84 B2 has that rear tire carrier, I have my spare on it because I hate having them in the cab of an SUV especially since there's no mounting location for it. That rear tire carrier is far from a secure tire carrying device. Even on the road it will make noise vibrate around, etc. As far as reinforcing the mounting locations, I think a lot of cutting and welding would be involved. Also, it will rub the paint off the lift gate as well eventually where the bottom rubber pad contacts the lift gate.

I haven't personally seen anyone modify theirs to make them more secure but I'm sure it can and has been done.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
A 31 has potential to rip the whole tire carrier off, trashing both your back corner and the lift gate.

Drive behind someone with a stock-sized tire on their carrier while offroad. It bounces all over the place... Keep in mind, all that keeps it from bouncing upwards is the back corner, and all that stops it from bouncing downwards is a small bracket sticking off your gate.(And a small spring-loaded handle to "lock it" in place.)
My 84 B2 has that rear tire carrier, I have my spare on it because I hate having them in the cab of an SUV especially since there's no mounting location for it. That rear tire carrier is far from a secure tire carrying device. Even on the road it will make noise vibrate around, etc. As far as reinforcing the mounting locations, I think a lot of cutting and welding would be involved. Also, it will rub the paint off the lift gate as well eventually where the bottom rubber pad contacts the lift gate.

I haven't personally seen anyone modify theirs to make them more secure but I'm sure it can and has been done.

building your own is the best thing to do.

it starts with a real bumper.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Roof rack could be another option...that's what I'd like to do. I have a rear tire gate, holds my 31" spare. I've never had any problems with rattling or npise offroad, and it seems to be solid enough, but I hate that the tire takes up so much of my view in the mirror.
Plus I think a built b2 looks sweet with a good roof rack :D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
with small tires the roof aint so bad. 31 is pretty light.

i fawked up my back bad so i cant be throwing my 42's around anymore....the 37's in my custom steels actually weigh almost the same...my spare 37 is in an aluminum rim and is 17 pounds lighter at least.

we run 33's and 36's on the b2 and i dont even keep a spare in that, when i do its a 235 if i leave town in it. the rear is spooled so it would be a switch o rama with a rear flat.

i have been thinking of a custom receiver assembly that allows multi positions for the spare so mady can haul two dirtbikes with it if sh has to. if i put a bench in it she could haul lil bobs bike too so they can go to the track. its a half cab so two seats sux.

with its lil half cab bed you cant really fit a spare 36 anyway...maybe a 33. so i have to do something.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
WildBill . . what do you mean there is no mounting place for the spare tire inside the BII ??

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
no tire gate has a space saver mount inside on the ones i have owned.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Well I am kind of building a stock modify truck. I want to go with what they might have built an 80s bronco ii like. Did they have built up bumpers back then?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
yeah, there were some cheesy tube bumper offerings.

but making a real stout bumper and tire holder that looks like it should be there is pretty simple really.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals