• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3/4 drop 99 ranger

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is the only way to lower the rears of these trucks is with a flip kit? That doesn't look to safe! My truck will be on sticky tires at the track.. Any other options?
What's the best place to getthw kit?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you're drag racing I will assume you are going to use, at the minimum, slapper bars. That will take the majority of the torque away from the flip kit. I made my own flip kit. If you want to do something other than a flip kit, then weld new spring perches on the axle.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah Ill be using. Cal tracs...
But do they make drop leaf springs? I have been looking and don't see any. I do see hangers and shackles.. Is that a 3 inch rear drop?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, there may be other options, but they may not get exactly 4" of drop.

You can flip the rear spring hangars and shackles which will give you about a 2" drop. Then add a set of lift/lower shackles like the BellTech 6400 shackles, which will lower it about another 1-2" depending on which bolt hole you use in the shackle. A similar set of shackles can be found at your local parts store, they are sold for Chevy trucks, but are the same thing. You probably won't get a true 4" of drop from this, but will probably be in the 3-4" range.

There's also the option of using an Explorer axle. They were all mounted above the axle, so installing one in a Ranger would be same as axle flip brackets. You've also got the option of getting a 31 spline axle and disc brakes with the swap. The former seems like it might be a good thing for your intended use. This swap will also get you closer to a 5 inch drop, but you could use the same shackles above to get it back up a little bit. The explorer's also have an anti-wrap bars that you might be able to adapt to your build.

You can find more about these in the tech section.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah Josh , I know all about the 8.8 swap. I have one out of a ranger though.I was just trying to figure out the best and most safe to lower it. I'm not dead set on 4 inch.. It can be 5 a long as it rides good. I'm on a 315/35/17 rear tire and need to get rid of some air space between the fender and tire

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I want to say that there used to be drop leafs available, or at least certain style of factory leaf that would net a drop if installed in place of a regular leaf pack. I can't recall if it was Rangers or Explorers, but some came with a composite mono leaf spring in the back. I think it gave a little drop when installed in place of a standard steel leaf pack, but it wasn't much. I also have a hard time imagining it holding up to your intended use very well.

As mentioned the shackle swap and hangar flip combo will get you in the ball park of 4" as well and keeps the axle under the springs so not need to modify it swap it. As long as you use a good grade 8 bolt when mounting the hangar back to the frame, it's just as safe as when it left the factory.

Back when RPS was still around I recall people talking about flipping the front hangar bracket as well for more drop. I don't remember how much drop it added, but I think it required use of a frame notch. Wish that site was still around, this one is great, but they were more oriented to the lowering crowd and had collected lot more info about it. The might still have a face book group.

The biggest issue you'd run into with either that or the axle flip is frame clearance. Fender clearance might be an issue depending on your tire size, but I can't picture the size you listed on a Ranger so can't say how it'd fit there.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've found drop leaves.. At belltech.
Now to decide on the drop... 3/4....3/5 or 4/5

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As mentioned the shackle swap and hangar flip combo will get you in the ball park of 4" as well and keeps the axle under the springs so not need to modify it swap it. As long as you use a good grade 8 bolt when mounting the hangar back to the frame, it's just as safe as when it left the factory.
Shackle swap/hanger flip combo moves the back end of the springs up about 4", but as the axle is a little forward of center, you get about 2" of lowering - OK, for "leveling", not really lowering. The good part is - it is quick, easy and if you don't like it, you can reverse it.

You can also replace the Ranger rear hangers with Chevrolet Silverado hangers and get another couple inches, Chevrolet hangers are considerably below the frame, but that requires drilling some holes in frame to mount them.

Given the cheap steel the Ranger frame is made out of, grade 8 bolts are overkill. But this is suspension and price delta between 8 - grade 8 bolts and grade 5s is only pennies. (I used 4 pair of the bolts Ford mounts the hangers on OEM but they were lying in the bucket of spare parts.

Front hanger swap/flip raises front of the spring something crazy - like 8"; almost 5" at axle and has a dramatic impact on pinion angle. It destroys the ability of the truck to function as a truck, IMO.

Personally, I would the rear hanger swap just to see what it looks like before I spent real money on springs - then you know exactly what you want.

Also, I wouldn't go more than 3" on front springs - you're losing to much travel. If you want more its time to change to the DJM arms, again IMHO.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shackle swap/hanger flip combo moves the back end of the springs up about 4", but as the axle is a little forward of center, you get about 2" of lowering - OK, for "leveling", not really lowering. The good part is - it is quick, easy and if you don't like it, you can reverse it.

You can also replace the Ranger rear hangers with Chevrolet Silverado hangers and get another couple inches, Chevrolet hangers are considerably below the frame, but that requires drilling some holes in frame to mount them.

Given the cheap steel the Ranger frame is made out of, grade 8 bolts are overkill. But this is suspension and price delta between 8 - grade 8 bolts and grade 5s is only pennies. (I used 4 pair of the bolts Ford mounts the hangers on OEM but they were lying in the bucket of spare parts.

Front hanger swap/flip raises front of the spring something crazy - like 8"; almost 5" at axle and has a dramatic impact on pinion angle. It destroys the ability of the truck to function as a truck, IMO.

Personally, I would the rear hanger swap just to see what it looks like before I spent real money on springs - then you know exactly what you want.

Also, I wouldn't go more than 3" on front springs - you're losing to much travel. If you want more its time to change to the DJM arms, again IMHO.
Thanks for the info. I have 315/35/17"s on the rear so it has to come down back there and 255/40's up front

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals