• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shocks for Ford F-150

Mesannen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've been piecing together a lift for a '94 YJ, and the only thing left to get is a set of front shocks. I'm running Fabtech 3.5"" springs with 1/2"" boom shackles front and 1"" booms in the rear (Ford 8.8), with a set of Pro Comp MXS adjustable shocks in the rear.

From my research, it seems some people have had good luck running rear shocks from a '97 Ford F150 4wd truck as replacement shocks in the front of a YJ with 3.5-4"" of lift. I've talked with a few guys, and they claim the ride is just as good as factory, and are a cheaper alternative to some of the more expensive YJ shocks on the market.

Here are the shocks I am considering: Gabriel G64079 Ultra Truck Shock or KYB 349108 Excel-G Gas Shock https://mechanicfaq.com/shocks-for-ford-f150-4x4/

Extended and compressed length of the shock is roughly the same as a 4"" lift shock from BDS, Syjacker, or Rough Country. My only concern is whether they will be too stiff.

Crazy idea? I have found a pair of these shocks brand new for $45 shipped, which is a pretty good price.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Springs are rated for the WEIGHT of the vehicle on that axle
If springs are rated for 1,500lbs and vehicle only weighs 1,000lbs then ride will suck, there is not enough weight to hold the springs down when you hit a bump so spring just pushes vehicle up, might as well just use steel rods instead of springs, lol.

And a good match for spring rating and vehicle weight also keeps your wheels on the road instead of airborne, so better handling and traction

Pickup trucks are often over sprung in the rear to get their capacity rating, like 1/2-ton rating, that means the rear springs are matched to rear axle bed weight + 1,000lbs, lol, so can be a harsh/bumpy ride with empty bed.
Softer springs with over loads added can help that, empty or loaded a good ride and better handling.

Shocks are there to stop springs from doing what spring do, bounce up and down with weight added, shocks dampen springs deflection and recoil.
You want a shock that ALLOWS the springs to absorb bumps but not keep bouncing after the bump.
So these are also weight related, a "stiff" shock takes away from good spring weight rating match, doesn't let the spring absorb the bumps.
A soft shock can't handle the weight of vehicle so can't dampen the recoil good enough, so continued bouncing

A Good shock can't correct for bad springs, so it starts with the springs

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Seems like you're asking this on the wrong forum for your vehicle.

GB :)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I am running factory size F-150 shocks on my 1.5" lifted Bronco II.
Rides very nice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals