• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Old Mechanic takes on a project

strangerangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello my name is RedFred I am a retired mechanic of 32 years. I purchased a 2004 Ranger standard trans and had to get rid of it as my bad back and the clutch pedal did not get along. I since purchased a 2003 Ranger automatic, 4.0 Edge 2wd and have been keeping it in as best shape as possible. NOW I have purchased a 1984 Ranger 4wd but it has a 2.9 engine (someone has changed it as far as I see the 84 came with a 2.8) and the fuel tank is rusted and out of the truck when I bought it. NOW since I am not planning on putting this on the road for a while and just use it as a helping hand around the property I would like to run this off of a plastic boat tank. I have purchased an inexpensive fuel pump and hooked it up to what I think is the fuel intake (my knowledge of fuel injection on cars and trucks is limited, although I could repair diesels in my day) and after redoing the ignition wires and cleaning the plugs the engine runs for 3-5 seconds (well) and stops, with the pump running it starts again in 5 minutes or so.
Can anyone shed some light on an old wrenches head scratch er??
thank you for any advise, and thank you for letting me be part of this wonderful site

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Prior to 1998 Ranger fuel injection systems needed about 30psi fuel pressure at the injectors, 1998 and up needed 50psi

So you need a fuel pump that can provide enough flow and that has a Check Valve so it can maintain 30psi pressure

There is ALSO a return fuel line that ran back to the tank which you will have to run to your plastic tank

The IN from pump gas line is on the drivers side of engine, just below upper intake

The OUT gas line is on the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) located on passenger side toward the front, it has the Gas line and a vacuum hose attached.
Check that vacuum hose for gasoline, if found replace FPR

The check valve in the fuel pump and the FPR are what hold and set the 30psi pressure in the system
You can get in-line check valves, basically a one-way flow valve

Fuel injection does not have a Float Bowl, so it needs some pressure left in the system for startup after its been sitting awhile

There is a fuel pressure test port on passenger side of engine, looks like a tires air valve because that is what it is, a schrader valve, and works the same way

The earlier 2.9l used two fuel pumps, one in the gas tank as a lift pump, 5-9psi, like for a carb engine
And a second high pressure pump in the frame rail under drivers seat area, next to in line fuel filter
Whoever did the swap may have used this setup, so look for that high pressure pump, and hook your plastic tank pump to that one, run them on the same 12volt power wire

Last edited:

strangerangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank You!

Your information is very much appreciated. Was hoping for a carb, no computer, something simple for this old brain to work on. Still love to turn wrenches, the hands don't work like they used to, and the patients are thin. I will keep you posted on my results!!
Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals