• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FORD... design a slide-away bed extender

Mike Tonon

I could deal with the shorty beds, but please incorporate a fold apart, slide away bed extender. Something that completely slips out of the way. Have it slide into the tailgate and between the bed and bed sides. Nothing taking up any space inside the bed when not in use.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I could deal with the shorty beds, but please incorporate a fold apart, slide away bed extender. Something that completely slips out of the way. Have it slide into the tailgate and between the bed and bed sides. Nothing taking up any space inside the bed when not in use.
It would not be hard to do.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I wish they would just give us 7/8ft boxes

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
They do have an 8' bed option. Its called an F150, and it just slightly bigger then the new Ranger.

Yeah, but they are rare as hell. Even an 8ft boxed SD isnt eaay to find.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, but they are rare as hell. Even an 8ft boxed SD isnt eaay to find.
Quite a few of them around here.

I would like a 6’ bed super crew Ranger though.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
A friend of mine has a 99 sc longbed F150 that he rarely drives. I'm trying to get him to trade me something for it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A friend of mine has a 99 sc longbed F150 that he rarely drives. I'm trying to get him to trade me something for it.
I just saw a twin to my 02 in Omaha today but it was a long box rather than a scab sb. Same era and color scheme.

Mike Tonon

Let’s be honest, people who are going to buy this new Ranger, are going to use it mostly for commuting and then maybe some weekend projects and for vacation. More often than not, the short beds are more than will be used. But when they want to put lumber or a ladder or a lot of boxes and furniture in back, a pullout, fold together bed extender will suit them fine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Let’s be honest, people who are going to buy this new Ranger, are going to use it mostly for commuting and then maybe some weekend projects and for vacation. More often than not, the short beds are more than will be used. But when they want to put lumber or a ladder or a lot of boxes and furniture in back, a pullout, fold together bed extender will suit them fine.
The only reason I don't have one on order is funding... and if there was a checkbox for a 6' supercrew I would check it.

The extra foot of stability for lumber and room to get something in there with a toolbox would be worth it to me. My current truck has a 6.5' bed, losing 6" is fairly minor compared to losing 18"

Otherwise I fit your description to a T, I don't haul pallets of cement or reams of drywall daily. But for when I do a little more waterline sure wouldn't hurt.

As far as a 7-8' bed... I can see why they don't want to do that with a Ranger. Heck, nice 7' beds are like hens teeth... I don't know if many people wanted them even back when they made them.

Mike Tonon

My Ranger I ordered with a 7’ bed. I figured it to be my personal best option. I put a diamond plate tool box in back that easily comes out, by removal of two eyelets, one on each side, that also double as tie downs, when the toolbox is removed. The tool box is about 6” up from the bottom of the bed, so I can leave the tool box in and slide cargo underneath, if necessary. I also had a spray in bed liner done. The price was high, but I love it! Also freed up a bit mor space along the sides of the bed. With its 4.0 SOHC, arguably stronger manual transmission and other smaller features, my small Ranger is equipped like a midsize.

But these newer Rangers actually being midsize and yet having such short beds, should have a custom, completely slip away, bed extender. It’s just common sense.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would add weight to the tailgate but it would be easy to integrate an extender into the the tailgate.

Of course it would interfere with the old man step if they plan on adding that to the Ranger down the road...

Mike Tonon

It would add weight to the tailgate but it would be easy to integrate an extender into the the tailgate.

Of course it would interfere with the old man step if they plan on adding that to the Ranger down the road...
If it’s aluminum and plastic, it probably wouldn’t be too heavy. And if alot of it slid into the bed sides and not the tailgate, that would help.

It cannot be bent from expected use, because then it will not slide back into where it would slide away.

How would it interfere with the old man step?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it’s aluminum and plastic, it probably wouldn’t be too heavy. And if alot of it slid into the bed sides and not the tailgate, that would help.

It cannot be bent from expected use, because then it will not slide back into where it would slide away.

How would it interfere with the old man step?
Ha, I looked it up and they changed it. My FIL's has the handle in the bed, the new ones have it coming out of the top of the tailgate.

From this:

To this:

Although the gate is aluminum people are already complaining it isn't dampened... as if people have nothing better to do that wait for their tailgate to gracefully open. I could see adding more weight to it could cause even more sprains. :rolleyes:

Mike Tonon

It’s a truck! Why the f would it be dampened? What kind of metro-sexual sissies are buying trucks these days? ...”Waaaaah, it’s not dampened!” The ****?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals