Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Special Interest Vehicle Use > Towing

Notices

Towing For questions about towing or to show off your tow rig.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
snoranger
Supporting Member

Tetris Champion

Vehicle Year: '79,'94,'02,'17
Vehicle Make: All Fords
Vehicle Model: f350 Supercab, Cobra, Ranger, F150
I use this vehicle for: I dont use it, its STILL at the body shop
My credo: I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
snoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ranger bed trailer

The time has come to put my Ranger out of her misery. She's seen 190K since 1990, when my uncle bought her. I beat the tar out of it for the past 120K and she took it like a champ. So I decided to give her a new life as a trailer.

How it looked as of friday: (Ignore the ugly red cap, thats off our company s-10. We just needed a place to put it for a few days.)

Lets get right into this. Pulled the bed: (The van in the background is mine, so is the Cobra behind it.)

I found a little rust on the frame, nothing too bad. (Oh look, a 1" BII sway bar.)

Forklifts make this kind of work so much easier, everyone should have one.

I cleaned up the surface rust on the underside of the bed and painted it with POR15: (I even found a use for the floor mats )

While that was drying, I chopped the frame in half. (The 2 green Explorers in the background are mine.)

Ranger bed trailer build

Follow my 3 month ordeal getting parts from ford for my 2017 F150 on twitter @kevin46843488

ASE Auto and Med/Heavy Truck Master Tech.
snoranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
snoranger
Supporting Member

Tetris Champion

snoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond reputesnoranger has a reputation beyond repute

Next, we need to do some work on the frame.

I leveled it and welded in a new front crossmember and a support to the factory crossmember. (It may not look straight in some of the pics, but I can assure you its within 1/16" of perfect in every dimension.)

I added another crossmember near the rear. I have a few reasons for this.
1) The rear crossmember seems weak to me.
2) Im not putting a bumper on it, I have a rollpan on the bed already.
3) I may put some stabilizer legs on the back, for loading and unloading my quad when I'm not hooked up to a tow vehicle.

I welded all the factory crossmembers to the frame rails, in an attempt to stiffen the frame a little.

Gratuitous weld shot. Yes everything is stick welded, thats all we have at work.

How she sits as of today.

I have to cut a hole in the front crossmember for the tongue. Its going to extend into the chassis about 8" and be gusseted to the 2nd crossmember. The tongue will extend about 4.5' from the front of the bed and have braces off the frame on either side.

The company next door does hot dip galvanizing. I may strip it down and send it over to them before final paint and assembly. Last time I had something of this size dipped, they charged me less then $50. They cut me a good deal, because I fix their forklifts.
Ranger bed trailer build

Follow my 3 month ordeal getting parts from ford for my 2017 F150 on twitter @kevin46843488

Last edited by snoranger; 05-24-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Robert_1967

Vehicle Year: 1988/1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab/BroncoII
I use this vehicle for: Soon to be hot rod/Daily Driver
Robert_1967 has a spectacular aura aboutRobert_1967 has a spectacular aura about

That sure was a nice looking Ranger to cut up.

Robert

sent from the depths of hell while roasting marshmallows.

If I can't work on my Ranger or BroncoII, I rather be fishing.

If Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane.
Robert_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

I measured mine and it's 54" from the back of the bed to the front of the tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
snoranger
Supporting Member

Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_1967 View Post
That sure was a nice looking Ranger to cut up.

Which part?
The rotted out radiator support.
The rotted out body mount brackets (all of them).
The dry rotted body mount bushings.
The 4.0l OHV thats burning oil.
The slipping 2.9l A4LD.
The cracked windshield.
The completely rusted out doors.
The leaking radiator.
The seized AC compressor.
The leaking steering box.
The rotted out exhaust.
The worn out interior.

You see where I'm going with this? The truck would have cost more to fix then it was worth.

I've got 8 cars (not including my wifes new Fusion), its time to thin the herd. I'll pull the MSD DIS-4, the Borla headers, and the BBK throttle body off this and get rid of it.
Ranger bed trailer build

Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Robert_1967

Vehicle Year: 1988/1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab/BroncoII
I use this vehicle for: Soon to be hot rod/Daily Driver
Robert_1967 has a spectacular aura aboutRobert_1967 has a spectacular aura about

Well, from the pictures it "looked" to be a nice Ranger.

Could you e-mail me the front bumper and spoiler?!?

Robert

posted from the gates of Babylon.

If I can't work on my Ranger or BroncoII, I rather be fishing.

If Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane.
Robert_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
snoranger
Supporting Member

Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane96ranger View Post
I measured mine and it's 54" from the back of the bed to the front of the tongue.

Thanks, thats what I was planning for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoranger View Post

I have to cut a hole in the front crossmember for the tongue. Its going to extend into the chassis about 8" and be gusseted to the 2nd crossmember. The tongue will extend about 4.5' from the front of the bed and have braces off the frame on either side.
Ranger bed trailer build

Old 05-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
snoranger
Supporting Member

Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_1967 View Post
Well, from the pictures it "looked" to be a nice Ranger.

Could you e-mail me the front bumper and spoiler?!?

Robert

posted from the gates of Babylon.

Looks can be deceiving my friend.

I pulled the bumper and tried to send it. I think the attachment is too big. Heres a pic for you though..

Ranger bed trailer build

Old 05-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
AllanD
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1987... sorta
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
I use this vehicle for: Roadtrip Warrior
AllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud ofAllanD has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoranger View Post
The company next door does hot dip galvanizing. I may strip it down and send it over to them before final paint and assembly. Last time I had something of this size dipped, they charged me less then $50. They cut me a good deal, because I fix their forklifts.
When you find out how much they want to do a hot dip job on a chunk of frame I'd REALLY like to know...

I've for the front half of a 2001 frame that I'd really like dipped in Zinc
AFTER I get done adding my reinforcements to it.

AD
AllanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
snoranger
Supporting Member

Tetris Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
When you find out how much they want to do a hot dip job on a chunk of frame I'd REALLY like to know...

I've for the front half of a 2001 frame that I'd really like dipped in Zinc
AFTER I get done adding my reinforcements to it.

AD
I called them today. They have a min charge of $150 for up to 400 lbs for most customers. I have to talk to the regional manager to see what he can do for me.
The company I'm having it done by is V & S (Voigt & Schweitzer) Galvanizing. The closest locations to you are Perth Amboy, NJ, Jonestown, PA, and New Castle, DE.
Ranger bed trailer build