Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks (Street)

Notices

1983-2011 Ford Ranger Mini Trucks (Street) Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Robert_1967

Vehicle Year: 1988/1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab/BroncoII
I use this vehicle for: Soon to be hot rod/Daily Driver
Robert_1967 has a spectacular aura aboutRobert_1967 has a spectacular aura about
Default My Ranger II

Well it's official, I now have a V8 Ranger.

I lost my build tread, and I'm just too lazy to find it right now, but this truck started life with a leaky 2.3 4 banger that had to fall out of a tree to get going, and it had a 5 speed.

HERE IS MY OLD TREAD from when I first started this mess. http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...ad.php?t=95330

When I first decided to rebuild it 3 years ago, I though I would just do a 4.0 swap, and auto trans, but after I traded some stuff for a 93 Explorer, and stripped it out, I decided, I wanted a little bit more of a cool factor, so after going through a bout of depression, and a few hospital stays, I traded for a 95 T-bird, it had the 4.6, but after some thinking, and a few suggestion from some members here, I ended up trading the t-bird, for a 75 Mustang II.

That is why I decided to call this a Ranger II.

so this morning after getting the gumption to get out and face the heat, I got the engine installed, bad thing is now I have to save up for some 1/4 plate to make a trans mount.

on the good side, my 88 Ranger drive shaft works, BUT since I have the 8.8 rear end out of the 93 Explorer, I have to change out the drive shaft flange, I hope I get to use the same U joint, it only had about 100 miles on it when the engine let go.

will here are some pictures from this morning.

well this is all for now, as you can see the trans mount is way off, so I have to get some plate metal, and make it work, that is the 88 trans cross member, I also have the 93 Explorer cross member, I'm thinking of trying to use it, it would be a cleaner look.

also if you notice the pipe up against the fire wall, it's OK, I'm going to take it off, and have a shorter pipe with a tighter bend made, and I'm also thinking of having my manifolds ceramic coated.

Robert

sent with a baseball, and rooted football.

If I can't work on my Ranger or BroncoII, I rather be fishing.

If Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane.

Last edited by Robert_1967; 07-30-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: old tread found
Robert_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Robert_1967

Robert_1967 has a spectacular aura aboutRobert_1967 has a spectacular aura about

I'm also thinking of trying to lower the engine down about 2 inches, I have about 4 inches from the pan to the cross member.

Robert

sent with a pipe wrench, and Ice Tea.

If Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
JoshT
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Back-up DD, Hunting, ETC.
JoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really niceJoshT is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JoshT Send a message via Yahoo to JoshT

IMO before going too much further I'd get some inner fenders and core support on there. It'd suck to get the engine all mounted up and have no room for a radiator.

Concerning your sig. If Facebook, MySpace and Twitter were destroyed I wouldn't give a crap, but then I'm not exactly a teen. Now, if the internet were destroyed I'd probably be able to get more work done.
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre - not touched in over 4 years, really need to sale
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX - DD
1968 Ford F-100 4x4 - Being revived
JoshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Is the cross member forward or rearward of where you need it to be?

If it needs to move forward about 2" you should be able to relocate it.

On second thought, 2" ain't gonna do it.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.

Last edited by adsm08; 07-17-2013 at 06:50 PM.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Robert_1967

no, it's a good 6" to 8" back from the transmission mount.

also I had already set the rad core in, and checked it, also from what the tech library says, I have the engine right where I need it since my drive shaft is where it needs to be.

I am going to try later to lower the engine down some, I think it sits too high.

Robert

sent with a Health book, and a swimming pool.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

Vehicle Year: 1983
I use this vehicle for: My DD, play toy
dangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to dangerranger83

Found it and subscribed!!!

As for the tras member, if it can be moved forward and used, even by having to still hires in the frame, then I would do that. Also you can find ones for sale online for doing v8 swaps in a ranger, but they can get pricy, hence why I'm building the ugly one I have.

Also, you going to put power steering on?

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

5.0 HO carbed, np435 with an np208 transfercase, 32 inch BFGoodrich M/T's, D30 SAS with 6.5 XJ coils, 63 inch leaves in rear.
dangerranger83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

dangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud of

As for drive shaft, if you have the 1210 joints, you are SOL on a conversion joint. I do recommend running at least a 1310 with a 302.

But if you have the smaller flange on your drive shaft and are trying to bolt it to the larger explorer flange, all you have to do its drill and tap now holes in the explorer flange. What size drill bit and tap you will need I can't remember but I know there are other people on here that do know.

5.0 HO carbed, np435 with an np208 transfercase, 32 inch BFGoodrich M/T's, D30 SAS with 6.5 XJ coils, 63 inch leaves in rear.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
Robert_1967

yea, I'll be doing power steering when I can find a decent bracket, I hate the big ugly one that came with this engine off the 75 mustang.

I'm going to see if I can just swap out the rear flange on the drive shaft, it's the small bolt 7.5, and the rearend is a 8.8.

I'll do some custom made cross member, I have the one off the 93 Explorer, it's the one that on the driver side sits on the frame, and the passenger side goes up the out side of the frame, that way I can get rid of the odd ball mounting flange for the 88 member.

Robert

posted with a rooted movie and fish scales.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

If your driveshaft has 1210 joints, then you are stuck with the small flange it has.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Scrambler82

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: DD
Scrambler82 will become famous soon enough

I found the only problem I had with my ’88 STX / Ranger / 5.0L conversion was the u-joints would wear out on me.

I never got to upgrade to a larger setup, might not hurt while you are building and replacing the rear anyway, get a larger driveshaft and u-joints.

What size U-joint comes on the Explorer 8.8 anyway ?
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote